Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT skid steer lift ram side to side slop normal?

Cpaine · 2018-08-25 19:52

2014 CAT 259D. Does this look normal? I bought it used with around 800 hours on the meter. It also has what seems to be a lot of side to side movement at the top most pin above the engine cover/beside the cab roof.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2018-08-26 06:33

    There are no spacers or thrust washers to reduce side play called out in the pin joints either at the top or at the bottom of the lift cylinders. I just looked at one of our skid steers, a 262D with less than 500 hours. It's been well-greased from new and is exactly the same as regards side-to-side play as your video.

  2. #262oliver2018-08-26 07:02

    WOW, thats a lot of movement alright, I would be concerned about that too, hard to believe that is how it is supposed to be

  3. #3Cpaine2018-08-26 08:30

    Thanks for the fast response! I feel a little better that it’s not just my machine. What model year is the 262D you looked at? It sound like it’s normal but I may stop at the CAT dealer when I have time to see if a newer 259 also does this. I’m with ya, maybe it is intended who knows. In my quick google research, I didn’t find any info on it so I assume it’s a non-issue.

  4. #4Nige2018-08-26 08:42

    The 262D was new in 2017 and has 616 hours on the meter. It is only used cleaning around our shop, so our guys operate & maintain it. When I looked it before it was lathered in grease around those pins so there has definitely been no lack of lubrication.