Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do I need to use Cat oils or can I use other brands?

Mattsgame · 2011-04-07 22:30

I just bought a 1989 Cat 235C for use around my farm. It's not going to see a lot of hours, just odd jobs in my area and I'll be using it to clear fence lines and to remove tree stumps. I have tractors and other large equipment that use engine oil, hydraulic oil, and gear oil. What I’m wondering is... Do I have to use Cat Diesel Oil or can I use the same oil I use in my diesel tractors as long as it is the same viscosity. I’m also wondering the same for the hydraulic oil and gear oil. Your opinions are welcome Thanks Matt

Replies5
  1. #12stickbill2011-04-07 23:12

    You can use the same oils as in the other diesels.But do use a good grade of oil not the cheap kind.

  2. #2ETMF 58 White2011-04-08 12:59

    I was told that Delo 400 is the same oil as Cat engine oil. I switched all of my equipment including dozer, farm tractors, and big truck to it, now I only have to stock one oil. And since it is 15w-40 multigrade, winter starting is a little easier I believe. Time will tell if this is a good move, because we've put thousands of hours on JD and Cat engines with single grade XD3-30 from Exxon with no problems. As far as transmission and hydraulic oil, use the best that you can afford, but you can't afford the cheap stuff in the yellow pail in the long run.

  3. #3Mattsgame2011-04-08 20:53

    My manual reads as follows Engine crankcase - DEO or EO - SAE 15W40 Hydraulic system - HYDO, DEO or EO - SAE 15W40 Swing drive. final drives, pump drive, track rollers and idlers - TDTO SAE 40 Is the engine oil and the hydraulic oil the same "SAE 15W40"? As for the swing drive. final drives, pump drive, track rollers and idlers... "TDTO SAE 40" is it a gear oil? or what type is it. I'm can't remember, I'll check the next time I'm at the shop, but I think the gear oil I use is 80W90 and 80W140. answers are welcome Thanks Matt

  4. #4Lee-online2011-04-08 21:08

    TDTO = Transmission DriveTrain Oil. Regular non detergent no additive oil. We use 30W in trans,finals swing, 10W in hyd and 15w40 in engine. The wrong oil is better than no oil. Here is what is recommended for your machine.

  5. #5DGODGR2011-04-09 12:13

    Matt, Look farther into your manual. It should have a section on oil specifications. This section should tell you what specifications an oil should have for each compartment. If it's not in your manual try the Cat website for lubrication specifications. I have seen them in seperate publications as well. Most Cat dealer franchises have their own oil analysis labs. This can be another source for information on compartment oil requirements and specifications. What ever oil you buy should have specifications on it. If not on the package than the supplier will have this information. As others have said the brand does not matter if the oil meets or exceeds the machine MFRs specifications. I have used Chevron oils in my backhoe, for several thousands of hours, without any problems. I stuck with Cat oil for the rear diff because it included an anti-chatter additive that the Chevron oil did not. I switched to Cat oils when I moved to CO as they were readily available and the Chevron oil was not so convenient anymore. I know that this is not your specific application but it provides an example. BTW that backhoe has over 12,000 hours on it & still works well.