I'm looking for some reviews on under ground pipe locators. Are these worthy tools to invest in?? I've used several types and have not been too impressed- Your thoughts?!
I have a Fischer 770 and it works great, simple and easy to use....place your transmitter and turn the reciever on and fallow the arrows....simple deal. Pj
My understanding is that there is a bit of skill involved in being able to use them but have never used one personally.
I have a Fisher TW6 and use it mostly for cable locates but it also works well for pipes. The ideal is if you can clip the transmitter on to one end of the pipe but it also has an attachment that lets you find a pipe even if you don't have access to the pipe. As Hendrik says, there is a little art/skill required to do a good job but the more you do the better you get. One suggestion though, don't use this as a replacement for a "Dial before you dig' call for utilities.
most common locater on the market today...very reliable ,, but can be costly As for the digsafe they are 50% in my books... We demo'ed one several years back... set on ground after it located the pipe then it would tell the depth.. can't tell you the make ,but it did work...
:falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh :exactly :falldownlaugh :drinkup
We have a ditch witch locator. Works pretty well as long as the person uses it has an idea on how to run it. Unfortunate for us, our office has decided that is is better used as a service to a national pipeline company. They have hired a person to run around and mark out pipelines.
you guys need to try one like mine......you clip the transmitter on the wire and turn the reciever on....that's all there is to it. you watch the readout and it says left or right and gives a signal strength, if it reads 20% strength and you push the depth button to get a reading and it tells you 900inches....chances are you're going the wrong way Next time I have it on a job I will make a vid "how to use a TW770" but really it will be as about as long as a video on "how to read a oil dipstick" lol Pj
locator We use a Metrotech 810. Works good,and is quite accurate. We aslo use a Radiodetection locator with our sewer camera. There is a sonde built into the camera head and the locator picks up on it. Both units save time and expense. Dominion:canada
I currently use a Rycom locator and have been happy. Of course technology has changed since I bought mine. I agree that there is certainly skill involved in being able to get good consistent results. It takes time to master it. But I strongly encourage having one. I couldn't imagine digging without having one in my truck.