Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do you know how to disassemble this cylinder?

daxlw ยท 2012-03-06 15:22

I want replace seals but can not get it apart. Steering cylinder from case 760 trencher. Doesnt screw off.

Replies7
  1. #1carlsharp2012-03-06 15:48

    I could be wrong, but it looks very similar to the steering ram on my Ford. With the rod in some, you push the gland into the cylinder and it exposes a snap ring that you remove by traditional means then pull the rod/gland out...

  2. #2daxlw2012-03-06 15:58

    I have pulled two snap rings out. Still does not release. Another snap ring Im forgetting?

  3. #3stondad2012-03-06 21:37

    Hope you have it in pieces by now. I've only ever seen this type with one internal snapring, usually round in section, and with a hole through the cylinder tube to help you get started. You have to have the gland pushed into the cylinder a bit to release the snapring from it's locking position. Once its out, you can use the rod as a slide hammer so that the piston hits the gland inside and forces it out. When you reassemble it, take care not to push the gland too far into the cylinder or you will cut the o ring on the port. carlsharp, I love your term "traditional means". That means mucking around with every screwdriver and sharp tool in your toolbox until you find one that works. Right?

  4. #4willie592012-03-06 21:55

    daxlw, it's hard for us to tell in you pics exactly what you have, but if it has the internal snap ring as described by others, a lot of time pressure inside cylinder will distort the groove that snap ring fits in, makes a burr on edge of snap ring groove. You'll get the snap ring removed, glad will move a bit, but seems to hit something solid and won't come out, that's where it's grabbing that burr on snap ring groove. I've had to really give some of those type cylinders a hard slide whack with ram and piston to get that gland to release. Once you do get it apart, be sure and sand sharp burrs/edges inside the gland area of cylinder with fine emery cloth.

  5. #5alrman2012-03-06 23:12

    I agree with willie - the internal circlip groove will be burred a little. I have used a pointy stone or carbide burr on a die grinder to remove the ridge in that type of cylinder before - just protect the chrome rod during the process .......

  6. #6daxlw2012-03-08 17:37

    I did figure this out. You have to jerk the rod out very hard. Might have been stuck with some foreign material or grit.

  7. #7carlsharp2012-03-09 02:27

    @stondad- Yes @daxlw- Glad it worked out!