I am new to the forum and to skid steers. I picked this up recently and plan to see if I can get it running properly to use around my property or move it on to the next more qualified person. I can't quite figure out what it is. It is pretty huge, similar to the "Big Bob" era M970 but it has some differences. I noticed that the engine door is solid and the fork cylinders are mounted outside the arms - although that could be a hack job done for a wider bucket. It has a Deutz diesel, Prince pump, Vickers motors, and Gresen 2701 valve spools. If it is an M970 then I don't think any parts are readily available for it but I would still like to identify it. My main issue with it now is that it seems to go fine in reverse on the right side but just seems to "pop" and not want to go forward on that same right side. The left is slow both directions. I assume there is some work to do with the Vickers motors and I will get there but also wondering if there is some hidden brake or safety stop that might be in play. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading this post.
Poping sounds like you may have chain/sprocket issues that REALLY should be looked at nefore moving it at all!!! cause once you start breaking sprockets it get a little expensive Definitely been hacked together I like the truck wheels/tires the cylinders were probably a lot cheaper than keep it stock.
I dont know what it is but I like it Our little bobby would pop and crunch going forward and roll fine in reverse turned out to be a drive motor swapped side to side to prove it out
Where ever that machine is from, I am guessing the Winters were long. Clearly someone with ample time on their hands.
It looks like it could be a modified M970/974,975 with a different engine and hydro pumps and a homemade tailgate. What does the interior and controls look like?
Here is the interior with the seat out of the way for access to the spools.
The white would indicate Bobcat, not sure about the yellow paint but I think Bobcat feller buncher versions of the 900 series were yellow. The pipe across the back behind the tires looks like 900 series Bobcat but the boom looks way too small. Maybe was a feller buncher that got was damaged and someone made their own boom and did other modifications. https://www.google.ca/search?q=bobc...a4Q9QEwA3oECAMQCg#imgrc=i2uGXuZqEEn6FM:&vet=1
Looks home made to me, or at the very least a good part of it... It looks like they used spool valves to control the travel whereas normally I’ve only ever seen variable displacement piston pumps to run the drives on any hydrostatic Bobcats I’ve come across... But it sure looks cool!
Looking at it some more it looks like an M970 that’s been heavily modified... here’s a picture of an M970 in a similar pose to your first photo and there are definite similarities...
The engine and hydraulics look homemade but the frame with gear reductions(?) looks like it could be 900 series Bobcat. Maybe a burned up machine and somebody with hyd's. experience put it back together using a little ingenuity.