Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do you know where I see the biggest crane?

glenlunberg · 2013-06-14 22:32

Since I don't have much knowledge about cranes, I would like to know where I can find the biggest crane in the world. :cool2

Replies13
  1. #1Tiny2013-06-15 00:21

    http://enr.construction.com/products/equipment/2012/extras/0925/slideshow.asp

  2. #2glenlunberg2013-06-17 00:04

    Thanks for the info Tiny!

  3. #3BTS2013-07-01 18:38

    Glen: here's a 1000 Ton Liebherr we fixed up: http://www.bodetechnicalservices.com/liebherr-crane-repair-service-job-ltm1800.html

  4. #4Blmreject2013-07-01 22:19

    Paper Mills. That's where the big stuff is!

  5. #5glenlunberg2013-07-03 22:33

    Thanks for all the information. I'm glad to know lots of reviews about the biggest crane. :usa

  6. #6blitz1382013-07-04 00:57

    This isnt a crane but its the biggest machine I work on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNH4diWpExg

  7. #7mitch5042013-07-04 02:09

    Just splitting hairs here but, isn't a dragline actually a crane?

  8. #8gostr8r2013-07-26 15:56

    That’s a kind of a grey question that you posted, since cranes come in all types and for many purposes. The world’s largest actual 'hoisting, swinging and booming' lifters were always ship mounted and the land based cranes with their fancy modern cw designs were far behind in the record books. There’s now some crane vessels that have dual rotating, electric 7000 ton cranes that can be used in tandem to lift, but not swing, a total of 14000 tons. The SWAN is a floating crane vessel that lifts over 8700 tons by itself, but won’t boom or swing, and now theres a twin beam gantry crane that can lift 20,000 tons too. And yes, the dragline is also a form of a crane too, and the Bucyrus Erie 'Big Muskie’ [google it] will likely forever have the record for being the largest walking dragline ever built, using a 220 cubic yard bucket, on a 310’ boom that was 55’ wide and weighed 2000 tons just by itself. Longer booms have since been used, but not a bigger bucket, EVER!

  9. #9kshansen2013-07-27 09:24

    We have a cousin of that one, a IC-35-2B! Does that boom actually swing? And if it does what happens to the operator? In our you sit down low to the left of the boom and the winch end of boom swings over your head.

  10. #10kshansen2013-07-27 09:28

    Not ours but very close. One of the handiest machines we have! It is sometimes referred to as "The Clown Car" If one is over 5'10" and 185lbs sitting in that operators seat could be a challenge !

  11. #11Blmreject2013-07-28 16:04

    I ran one with an inclosed cab for a few weeks. I'm 6' 1" and at the time I was 315 lb. I'm now down to 298 Thank you. It was very very tight with the door shut. Yes the boom swings on the one I posted. I didn't run it, I was walking through a mill and saw it parked next to a standard cab style carry deck. It was much smaller.

  12. #12gostr8r2013-10-06 00:19

    Actually Big Muskie’s head section was 55’ wide, the boom at the base pins was 110’ across. I went to see it on Christmas Day in ’99, just before they cut it up and sold it for scrap at 8 cents per pound. It worked 24/7/364 [off XMas Day] from ’69 to ’91, then it was a tourist attraction till ’99 at the Wild’s in Ohio. http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/g...ontofBigMuskieonXmasDay99.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1

  13. #13Forbes2013-11-03 08:17

    Try the MAMOOT site . They make some of the biggest ones. LIEBHERR site & TEREX DEMAG all make very big cranes . Single pick The off shore ones are probably the largest - SEIPEM out of ITALY & HAREMEER/& van SUMERAN out of Holland ( spelling - not the best) But a search will bring up the details