Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do you need a license to run a bobcat or similar machine?

mws_1984 ยท 2014-04-25 19:00

I work in masonry and usually drive a Lull so I have my 1c license. Oh I live in MA/RI area so we need to have licenses on that stuff. But current job I am on is a small site and can't get a big machine in there. So using a tracked skidsteer. Actually just learned how to drive it this morning. Quite the pain in the butt. I bet it would be fun if I had some room lol. But do I need a hoisting license of any type to run this? I am on a private job so probably no chance anyone gonna come around asking, but for future I may consider getting license if need be. Could this fall under 2A in Massachusetts?

Replies14
  1. #1390eric2014-04-25 19:54

    I have always wondered what all these licenses are for. Is it union? not trying to start anything just don't know. Who requires them. I have never been around anywhere that requires them.

  2. #2mws_19842014-04-25 20:02

    Nope not union. State law. Must not have that in PA I imagine. You need to get a DOT physical and everything to apply. Have to renew it every year I think it is.And now they are getting us for more, they want everyone to do continuing education and get a certificate to get sent with each renewal. Basically refresher course on the rules of the license I guess you could say.

  3. #3390eric2014-04-25 20:10

    Wow yeah I don't think there is anything like that in PA, or at least such standards. Seems like a good thing, but also seems like it can be a pain.

  4. #4mws_19842014-04-25 20:14

    Yep definitely a pain. $75 to apply, then I think $60 per year to renew, on top of fees for Doctor visit and anything else.

  5. #5CM19952014-04-26 20:38

    Just a curious question about the States that require such a license - How does it affect the rental market? I assume you can't rent a skid or other piece of equipment without the appropriate license for that machine?

  6. #61466IH2014-04-26 22:29

    I have never even heard of that other than union or big plant/factory jobs. Most of the union jobs only require it if it is required by whoever is paying for the job but around here it is called a forklift cert. It covers anything with forks wheather it be a fork lift or a backhoe or a skid steer.

  7. #7ParDawg2014-04-29 14:57

    In MA you'll need a hoisting lic. - "2D: Compact Hoisting Machinery with a gross vehicle weight not exceeding 10,000 pounds, excluding Class 1, Class 3, and Class 4". Rental of SSL - you need to get a Short Term Lic. thru the Rental Co. Is good for 14 days but you can only get this lic. once every 45 days. In MA - a Rental Co. has to have someone certified by the state to issue a Short Term Lic.

  8. #8Hardline2014-04-29 15:19

    What a mess! Thank GOD I live in Texas.

  9. #9CM19952014-04-29 19:26

    Welcome to the Forums and thanks for the info ParDawg! :drinkup I'm glad we don't have those regulations, what a pain.

  10. #10wilddanz712014-04-29 19:53

    yes you are spot on about license requirements.... any luck finding a good continuing ed. class, online im hoping?

  11. #11old-iron-habit2014-04-29 20:30

    In Minnesota you are required to have a fork lift certification for any forklift. One cert covers all. Most of the larger rental companies will train and test free on a longer term rental. Also required is a CCO(Certified Crane Operator) license for any drum type hoisting operation including stationary tuggers and boom trucks if they are used to pick an item off the ground. Both are state requirements, nothing to do with the unions. Edit, Forklift cert is good for 3 years. You have to have a "visual" by a certified trainer every thre years and get a new card. We have a certified trainer in house. Do not know how the smaller companies do it.

  12. #12CM19952014-04-29 20:36

    That's forklift cert. is an OSHA requirement for all States. Not sure on the CCO, don't mess with cranes.

  13. #13Reel hip2014-05-02 20:37

    I was an OSHA trainer in California. No license requirement , however depending on project developers they required training and certs to prove it. It helped with the bottom line of insurance and accident prevention. It was a very basic training with a test to prove completion. I find it hard to believe that a state other than Ca would have a requirement stricter than the most regulated state in America haha.

  14. #14mws_19842014-05-08 19:41

    Guess I'll just stick with my 1C for now. It would be nice to have other licenses but that could get pricey if I don't use these things all the time. This was a random occurrence where we had a Bobcat as the machine we had available to us for the work site. Those things seem like they could be fun to operate. Glad I got to at least learn somewhat. Even cost my company like $900 using it cause I went to close the door on it and it got caught on a cylinder or something and shattered. Hopefully the GC who rented it had the insurance coverage lol.