Do you value your shop or your service truck? Never charge a Li Ion battery in your shop, always at least 20 feet away outside. MOD EDIT: Language warning.
Excavator friend down the road had his shop burned down a few months back, fire investigators determined the cause to be lithium battery charger from some new tool he was doing initial charge on. I don't even charge batteries for my garbage freight stick lights unless am in the shop till done.
I can't get that lucky to burn my truck down.....
We had a real jackwagon of a neighbor who was that offensive guy with the drone. You'd be outside and he would be hovering on down into the yard. We have 100'+ tall trees so this was a deliberate effort to be an arse-wipe. One neighbor offered to recalibrate it with a shotgun, and that sort of came to an end. One night he was charging his super cheap imported battery pack and it gutted his dwelling. Nobody was hurt, karma ruled the day.
There is never ANY battery on a charger unless I can see it. Ed
The fellow in the video just had the tool and battery stored. Rule number 1 never leave a Li Battery in your shop. Store them outside. Some one needs to invent and build special battery storage units. They will be very similar to a large enclosed wood burning stove, with a smoke stack etc. Wish I could lose the D in the title Do you use......D...... typing error. Soon special garages will need to be designed for the EV's coming on line.
Did anyone else notice all the other conductive materials just flopping around in the mix? Flatbar, wrenches, strip nails. Wonder if battery was attached to tool or rolling around in the box and shorted? Hmmmm.
I have many Milwaukee 18V tools and many Milwaukee batteries. They are stored in my garage which is heated and gets some cooling from the house air conditioning. I don't leave them on the charger more than they need to be. Never had a problem, and haven't heard about a lot of problems with them. I don't keep any batteries in my service truck unless I'm using them that day. I'm sure Dewalt batteries are fine, and likely Ryobi too. Although I like many Harbor Freight tools and other brands, I would stay away from their Lithium battery tools.
Dewalt ?
If you look at other forums; EV's are not being allowed anywhere near valuable buildings/collections in the case of the corvette meet ups or in parking garages for Hyundai/kia's. Home owners insurances are starting to limit coverage based on lithium batteries in garages and EV's. Looks like we're going back to the separate carriage house to charge the car.
Needing a new truck, I put both of my Harbor Freight 20V lithium battery chargers for the impact wrenches and 18V Milwaukee for the portable grease gun under the seat of my Dodge and plug them in. Damn the luck, I can't get that truck to burn down no matter what??? Guess I need to continue to chase hail storms although they continue to defeat my best laid plans also.
Judging by the general mess of the place what else was in the pack out box? Guy needs to rent 3 or 4 30 yard cans and clean that mess up. Indirectly related in the insurance category with EV's is autonomous equipment. Sitech salesman told me the autonomous technology is here but it is being delayed in being implemented due to insurance companies not knowing how to cover the equipment. I see more and more homeowners policies excluding EV's, heck in they past they excluded coverage on charging golf carts in the garage. Interesting times indeed.
A friend of mine is an auto mechanic and worked at various dealerships. He told me that some dealerships won't allow them to be left inside overnight. They have an isolated part of the property where they keep them and the repair bays are always closest to the overhead doors.
To bad your not closer they say we may get more tonight.
Good thing that poor guy didn't lose his "shop", mighta burned down the whole trailerhood. If you set a 30 yd. can on the property they'd probably cover it with a tarp and make a bigger shop, although 40 yarder would be more better.
You need a good stihl unit instead. And huge YEAH its all real funny until it happens.
If I owned a mechanic business of any sort, either there would be a huge special oven to keep the tool batterys in or the techs would have to take those home every day to charge them.
We've had a few tool battery failures, all from damage to the battery causing internal shorts presumably, obviously the one that fell and landed on some rebar was a short lol. Also worked at a place the tied those stupid M18 to Dewalt adapters from fleebay, that didn't end well for several tools and batteries.
Ya think prayer might help? Pretty heavy weather moving in right now and truck is prepped and parked proper in the open to receive the onslaught fury while I await in eager anticipation.
Efforts to have my truck damaged by weather are once again in vain. Got a "deluge" of rain and wind, but no limbs, branches, blowing debris, hail, or anything else detrimental. I'll try again later.
Been there. We had a tandem dump that was a nightmare. Always something wrong with it. One morning a driver left the shop and it started smoking. Being a smart guy he hammered it back to the shop and took off in another dump. My brother shows up early and puts the fire out. WHY would he do that?? That evening it started on fire again when we were all gone. The son of the 90 year old lady behind our shop just happened to be visiting. He calls the fire dept and they put it out. Insurance paid to rebuilt it but it was still a bad truck. He only visits like one a month and my brother never goes in early.
The old Dodge continues to soldier on for me although it's useful service life, (or need) is far in the past. I can't pull with it any longer as the frame is too weak to sustain the stresses, but it still runs well. Using a one ton dually with V-10 engine is kinda silly to use as a commuter vehicle, but it's been paid for since new and not driving near what I used to, the economy is not a large contributor to operational expenses. Insurance is cheap in comparison to something newer also with the same coverages. Been looking for a chassis to repower with as the Cummins engines are so popular for other uses, but no luck as of yet. Mine is rusted so badly I can't graft the front, or rear to something else.