I got a safety recall on my Nitro ..wiper relays in the power control module . They may fail suddenly and without warning during operation cause reduced visibility and possible crash or accident .. Anybody else getting a recall from Dodge in the past few day's And at least ..where's the little bit of media glamorization of another manufacturer having a safety recall..Or did I miss it
:usa:BangheadHello liebherr, it seems you and I wre on the same side acouple times lately, this is no different . I have a 2500 ram with a cummins in it (I only buy diesel vehicles) I am currently boycotting american car manufacturers because they push stupid hybrid and refuse to market diesels for the u.s.. I am a marine and SUPER PATRIOTIC! but I am mad as hell they build light diesels here and refuse to sell them here. too many pencil pushers making decisions in detroit. ointhead
actually, it's not a decision from detroit...sounds to me like an emissions standard we have here, not implemented throughout europe...thank your neighborhood greenie for these laws. here's an excepert from the article, and the link if you care to read the whole thing. There are a number of reasons for limited diesel availability in the U.S. but the two primary hurdles are cost and emissions regulations. Diesel engines are inherently more expensive to build than spark ignition engines that run on gasoline or ethanol. Because of the way a diesel functions, the engine components need to be more robust to withstand the high internal pressures. However, the implementation of much tighter emissions standards has exacerbated the cost problem significantly. The current U.S. emissions standards fall under what is known as Tier 2 and were phased in between 2004 and 2009. There are currently 8 bins, or categories, that new light duty vehicles can certified for, with bin 1 being zero emissions. California standards are even tighter and for a vehicle to be allowed to go on sale there it must meet the equivalent of at least the national bin 5 standard. Thus Tier 2 bin 5 (T2B5) is the de facto minimum for any automaker that wants to sell a car nationwide. http://green.autoblog.com/2009/10/19/greenlings-why-cant-americans-have-good-small-diesels/
I have to pipe in here .. I have a German friend that has swore that the Diesel sold at the pumps in Europe and the stuff at the Pumps on this side of the pond are completely different classes of Diesel ..His words ..the diesel here is crap .. He always go's back to Volkswagen diesel's as an example ..the Exhaust manifolds don't require service in Europe ..Over here they tend to plug up with carbon and crap.. With that in mind..The higher emissions could be lowered but the price at the pump for extra refining and cleansing would be absorbent keeping in mind that most of Europe runs Diesel ..it makes sense..better fuel .. Another reason they want Diesels turned down a notch ..is the BioDiesel ..there's a trend that farmers are slowly making a move to plant Cash Crops for this purpose ..which cuts down food production on the whole...
Iknow what you are saying about cost differential, you are right. But I own a 2009 jetta diesel for my wife, its a great car! Detroit should at least give us a CHOICE of what we want to buy. if volkswagen can do it why cant our guys? I would love to purchase a american ride but they dont give me any options, there is not another vehicle on the market that can compete in any way to that jetta.:usa
Because they would not sell enough to make any money in the USA. VW sells in EU and many other markets where feul is 6 buck a gallon. Cars now getting 40 or more MPG the average person will not pay for the added cost and fueling hassle, More than 50% of the cars in EU are diesel. Look at the MPG for the new Dodge Ram with 360 HP it is quite good.
GAS back in the day in North America Cheap,less smoke Low flash point ,easier atomization enabled cheaper ,lighter low compression engines to develop horsepower equaled by Diesel ..though lesser torque.. less moving parts ..easier to maintain by any guy with a wrench Which also made mass production simpler with a greater tolerance Vapour lock and cold temperature starting,ease of starting by hand crank.. gasoline won Jump ahead to the 60's and 70's No replacement for displacement ,mass production of muscle cars ..Who didn't want a 426 Elephant in their driveway back in the day ..hell even today.. So basically ,Gasoline enabled the North American auto sector to build cheap sloppy engines that ran and produced them for decade's On the other side of the pond Diesel was embraced and its technology developed Interestingly ..Rudolf Diesel ..washed up on a beach .. dead ..days before he was to announce to the world in a meeting with oil companies and politicians that he could get his engine to run on bio-fuel as we know it ..his dream was farmers and every country could grow their own fuel ..
As I said give us the choice, I agree some brain washed pencil pushing liberal might opt for some idiotic al(low life) gore model but intelligent, independant working men would choose diesels if they had the choice. As a matter of fact, we do every day, the ratio of diesel to gas pickups where there is an option is 70 percent diesel power. and why do you surmise they dont make a half ton diesel? because these snakes know we want diesel and well deal with a three quarter ton when we dont really need it just to get the diesel . So why make a less expensive vehicle more popular to cut in on a pricier purchase for them? But dont worry theres no conspiracy. ointhead
As far as fuel quality in Europe is concerned, I haven't noticed any difference between it and the fuel that's served in the USA. If everyone had a diesel car in their driveway, you could expect the price of diesel to double then triple. There simply isn't the infrastructure to support a predominantly diesel economy in the USA, yet. If a gas station has 1 diesel pump, they've got 4-6 gas pumps. The solution is not quite as simple as putting in more tanks and pumps at service stations. The refineries need to be expanded to meet demand. There hasn't been a new oil refinery built in the USA since 1976. I won't hold my breath for anyone to break ground on a new one. I imagine it will take some time to get there, but if Bloom Energy's fuel cell technology takes off, we may be seeing fuel cell powered cars and equipment before the diesel infrastructure can be significantly expanded. And by then, who needs it? This is my own speculation, though. :beatsme
Ford and GM were going to release a half ton diesel about this year or next. The automotive industry collapse made GM cancel it and I believe Ford delayed it but it will still be out last time I heard. The the increased power and mileage with gas may even stop Ford. Ford forum would have better info on the latest info.
i thought Chevron was just completing a new refinery in LA? Still not enough for this country.