Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does anyone have experience with a 710G?

Keith Merrell ยท 2022-02-15 22:02

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 710G. It has 7700 hrs, 4x4 extendahoe, cab with AC / Heat. Seems to be a pretty well maintained machine. It has some small things wrong with it like a weeping cylinder or two, but that's pretty much it. Unfortunately its not plumbed with aux hydraulics, but it does have the aux foot pedal. When its pressed you can hear the machine strain a little bit. Does this mean all you would have to do would be to Tee into the valve bank to run a hammer? Or is it most likely more involved than that? I would be looking to use this machine to run a 2000 lb hammer and also do some septic work as well as cutting some smaller building pads in rocky hillsides. I have owned a 310J, and it was very reliable, but wasn't suited to the work I was doing at the time. Now I feel like a large backhoe would be a good addition to my capabilities. What is a machine like this worth? All opinions appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1Keith Merrell2022-02-15 22:08
  2. #2Delmer2022-02-15 23:30

    In todays market, price is anybody's guess. Does look clean, I wouldn't expect it to be anymore than a similar 410, kinda odd. I don't know what the auxillary pedal is, this is a closed center system, so if there was an auxillary valve that was plugged, it would have no affect on the engine load, no? Maybe MG will straighten me out, I don't know the models like he does.

  3. #3JLarson2022-02-16 00:18

    The bigger G's, the 4 and 7 should be load sense systems, I could see it slightly loading up when you deadhead an unused aux till the system compensates. I've only ever worked on a few 710's and they were plumbed (ordered) from the factory with the rear aux hydro option. With the full counterweight package a 710 is a heavy girl, like over 26.

  4. #4mg23612022-02-16 05:02

    Is the pedal a mechanical pedal or an electric clipper switch? Maybe a picture of the backhoe valve from the rear, right side.

  5. #5Keith Merrell2022-02-16 09:28

    Mechanical pedal like you'd have for an extendahoe.

  6. #6Keith Merrell2022-02-16 09:29
  7. #7Keith Merrell2022-02-16 09:29

    This is the right side of that valve when you look at it from off of the machine, it had me interested because it seemed like there was space for another hose there on the right...

  8. #8mg23612022-02-16 12:11

    That setup is really not for a breaker. My recommendation would be the selective flow kit which has adjustable flow so you can match it the breaker. It is a separate valve that is mounted on the unit. The return would have to be run through a low pressure return kit if backpressure is an issue with the breaker.

  9. #9Keith Merrell2022-02-16 12:30

    I see, thanks. I suppose one good thing about buying a machine without Aux plumbing is that it hasn't been run with a hammer before?

  10. #10cuttin edge2022-02-16 13:18

    Not sure about Deere, but a hammer on a New Holland is hard on the slides on the extendahoe.

  11. #11JL Sargent2022-02-16 14:03

    What's going on here?

  12. #12Keith Merrell2022-02-16 14:15

    Fill plug was loose which worried me. The hub on the right side was a different color than the other. Machine is probably worth a bid of $25,000 in this condition.

  13. #13JL Sargent2022-02-16 14:58

    I would be verifying that the front end is working properly. Especially the right front hub. Looks like somebody has been in that one. Also, check the trans very carefully. It's the heart of the machine. 4 speed in the floor and are the synchros working good? Brake light turn off quickly when you press the switch? Can you run the machine for 30 minutes and then check transmission fluid? Things get expensive quick here.

  14. #14AzIron2022-02-16 19:29

    A 710 is a horse for 2000lbs hammers makes the hammer really sit down and work and the machine is big enough to not be affected by that size hammer I have ran 446s for years doing that and the 710 is even better at it You will be left slightly wanting on the hillsides tho mainly cause it's not an excavator And as a note if your 310 cant dig thru it a 710 wont especially in all the malipi that's in your area so you will still have a lot of hammer work to do

  15. #15Keith Merrell2022-02-17 02:13

    Do you see much difference in a 3000lb vs a 2000lb hammer? The advantage I see with the 710 is that its 26k lbs so no trouble to mobilize unlike a Cat 320 that sits at 46-50k lbs. And yeah I believe it with the 710's handling a hammer well, I ran the 710 a little and I could tell that thing was stout. I'm working with a lot of granites in Prescott and then sandstone in Sedona.

  16. #16AzIron2022-02-17 11:12

    There is a huge difference between a 2000lbs hammer on a backhoe and a 3500lbs hamer on a 320 but you said the magic part you can mobilize really easy with a backhoe compared to tracks that is the sole reason to go this route But majority of the time you pulling in to hammer 2 or 3 days with that 710 it would take half the time to hammer with a 320 but there wont be any money made at the cost to mobilize I've had this setup 25 years and its rarely been outmatched by the rock But you will get a lot of work from everyone else in the verde valley with that set up cause they are running 1000lbs hammers or jumping into excavators it's a hell of a niche