Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does anyone know what oil can be used in a spicer/dana planetary gear wheel hub with wet brakes? It is for my 6036 Skytrak shooting boom forklift.

Jayroget · 2025-07-28 20:23

I will post a pic of what is recommended but was wondering if there is anything else that can be used.

Replies9
  1. #1Willie B2025-07-28 20:39

    I know nothing ab out your machine. My Case 580K came to me with a substitute oil. First time I came down on the brakes steep downhillit sounded like grinding gears. I replaced the oil with Hy-Tran from my Case dealer. Hy-Tran was first an International Harvester product. I first saw it 60 years ago, my mother was bookkeeper at an IH dealership. I've read many articles about Hy-Tran. It is a superior product. If your machine needs a light hydraulic fluid that avoids a number of problems, I'd bet Hy-Tran is your best fluid.

  2. #2JEVANS2025-07-28 20:45

    I know on the JLG telehandler Im working on calls for Hydraulic oil in the Diffs and final drive ends. I put in Petro canada Durtran synthetic. Have also used Co-op’s T-HF transmission/hydraulic fluid. I would imagine it would be something similar, But I don’t know for sure.

  3. #3Jayroget2025-07-28 20:49

    I was actually wondering about the case hy-tran as we have a case 580k also.

  4. #4Jayroget2025-07-28 20:51

    My thoughts are a transmission-hydro mix that works for anti chatter in the brakes. I believe additives for anti foaming and such but just not 100% sure.

  5. #5terex herder2025-07-28 21:43

    I've a machine with spicer planetarys that specs a non synthetic TO-4. Only local oil source was from Cat. Try searching with the info from the planetary tag.

  6. #6Jayroget2025-07-29 07:36

    I will probably end up calling Admar, (place that rents out equipment) and see what there service guys use if they’ll give me that info.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-07-29 09:00

    Mobile 424. Thats what id use and im thinking thats what jlg calls out for that applacation

  8. #8Jayroget2025-07-29 09:25

    Definitely need something for the wet brakes. The pic I posted showed what is supposed to be in there. Just spending $50.00 plus another $30 on shipping for 1 gallon seems outrageous if it is only a transmission/hydro mix. That price is close to a 5 gallon bucket.

  9. #9Jayroget2025-07-29 09:26

    I’ll have to look that up, thanks