so I know I build the damn skid steers and I know what makes what but is anyone buying mtl loaders or seeing any around because I'm not I mostly just see the ctl.
I haven't seen any Cat MTLs since they came out with the CTL machines. The cost per hour of the undercarriage on the MTL was close to being the same as running a D8T.
I own and run an ASV RC100, ASV RC85 and Terex PT30 MTL's. I also own and run a CAT 299D2 XHP. We use the CTL when we are going to be around rock and gravel, The MTL's for dirt work. The RC100 has the Bair axles and wheels. The newer design MTLs like the PT30 are much more open to shed rock. The standard tracks seem to last longer with less damage and expense than the heavy duty Comoplast tracks.
see I know we run ctl which can either be a ctl or mtl same thing for us welding but I don't ever see any at the yard or on trucks
I like the cat 299 I don't see any terexs or asvs around that much but I knew they ran the mtl design more then anyone else in the industry
I am not sure Catwelder if your aware but ASV designed that track system and put it on their track machines, the 4810 I believe was their big model. Cat bought into ASV and put the ASV track system on the CAT superstructure and so the MTL as they called it was born. The next 5 years were quite profitable for the CAT and ASV parts counters as many customers found out that Multi terrain loader didn't include any type of abrasive terrain it was mostly meant for topsoil and snow. CAT came out with their CTL which gave their customers an option.
Cat sold its ASV div to Terex, which was on its way to running the name into the ground, then ASV bought itself out, this year and is still struggling to get its reputation back. I own an ASV RC-30, and couldn't be happier with it. Cat units, at the time of merger were OK, but ASV's were better balanced and a better value, IMHO
na when I started working for cat they dint give me much of a company history lesson which would of been nice to know
ASV stands for All Season Vehicle. They are decendents of the snow mobile.
well how do you feel about the support and resale of the ASVS
Cmy only MTL experience was with a 257 a few years ago. It was run purely on earth work and it was needing tracks, rollers, complete drive wheel rebuild every 900-1000 hrs. It cost nearly £12,000 (UK) for a rebuild. I think we could have run a D11 undercarriage cheaper. Running a 289 and 299 on same work and conditions, the tracks aren't half worn at near 1000 hrs, and there's virtually zero wear on the sprockets or undercarriage. Another thing, if you ran the 257 on a decent it could hardly pull itself along, but the CTL's on the same sideslope work okay.
You can buy parts for ASV/Terex and undercarrige parts for cat 2X7 series from Track Loader Parts in Ga all day long. On tracks you just have to shop around. Thes ASV/Terex brands are somewhat cheaper to buy new but the resale is not as good as Cat.
Not in the UK you can't. Unfortunately there's only a small population of MTL's here, and we aren't exactly spoilt for aftermarket.
i think the resale on anything branded cat will be better then certain brands but I think the asv/terex would be a good buy to as long as service around you wasn't junk
I have been running a 277 cat mtl for about 5 yrs now, just put a reman cat engine in it do to it taking a swim in a creek lol. undercarriage is a huge operating cost but cant afford to trade it on a new one, and after just spending 20k on engine swap cant really sell it. Has anyone rebuilt the center axles instead od just replacing complete assemblies, was just wondering if anyone happens to have a bearing part number before i tear it aparts again
Send you axle assemblies to Track Loader Parts in GA. and let them do the rebuild. It is cheaper than replacing them. Or you could use the Bair axles. If you do use the Bair cut the grease nipple guards off and weld on something much thicker to keep them from getting bent. There is a thread on here about the issue.
Thanks for the response, i have used the aftermarket front and rear rollers before, replace both on one side and had the rear one fail 5 months later and had to go back to stock because we where in middle of job and needed it right away, the front one has been running for a couple yrs now though. i wouldn't mind rebuilding them myself, was just hoping some one had a bearing number so i could order some before i tear it down, I have a lathe in house if i need to build up or make a whole new shaft. has anyone went to the aluminum bogey wheels? I also thought of making them myself due to having everything needed to do it and since ground is froze here we have some time, the thing that bothered me is with a solid wheel is it going to put that much more wear on the inside of the track since we are in gravel quite often.
I have the Bair metal wheels and axles on my RC100. I have about 1000 hours on them with no noticable wear on the inside of the tracks. Just make three point turns on gravel.
Seems like the mulcher crowd likes the MTL. I gather the tracks stay on better in the woods.
been thinking I wonder if you could put a mulcher head on a crawler loader
Cat put one on a D3. Seemed like putting one on a 941 size machine would've been better. https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/dozers/small-dozers/1000031400.html
I was thinking id like one on a 953 but I saw that on Instagram by someone I don't see it being that useful
Rayco, has some, maybe others, too...
i like the idea of cat doing with it a 953 I think it be a great look or maybe not it will either look bad ass or be a flop
Agree, 953 would be a beast. I'm hearing the Rayco machine is great, but the head sucks. Seems guys are getting the Rayco with the Denis Cimaf head.
ive heard those where pretty good and I think there will be a model come out id put in the idea at cat but I don't know if I can put in for a line I don't produce