Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Don’t do this

orville ยท 2012-06-10 16:56

I know most of you guys already know this, and maybe this has been posted before. Do not use your finger to remove a nut that will not just fall out of the socket that is in your impact or air powered gun. I just saw a picture of a guy who did just that, the nut looked like 1/2 inch 13 threads per inch. When he stuck his finger into the nut to remove it from the impact gun he hit the trigger, the nut was run onto his finger quite a ways. You would have thought the gun would have in reverse. The picture was not pretty.

Replies11
  1. #1blitz1382012-06-10 18:00

    yup no need to post a picture

  2. #2CM19952012-06-10 18:39

    Ditto, no need to post the pic. Wow! Yeah I thought it was common sense to unplug any tool that you have to work on, be it electrical, air or hydraulic. As our Buddy Stock says " Common sense is not common practice." We hurt ourselves the worse with the things we are most comfortable with.:cool2

  3. #3willie592012-06-10 20:48

    Nope, I never use my finger to remove a nut in a socket on an impact gun, nut is typically lodged if it won't simply drop out. I screw the nut back on the stud a couple of threads an wiggle the gun to pop it loose.

  4. #4D11RCD2012-06-10 20:59

    First thing when using an impact gun at work that they told me was not to put your finger in it. Pop the socket off to remove nut or just tip it upside down near a bucket. He also said that was the reason why... Makes me sick thinking about it, please don't post picture.

  5. #5orville2012-06-11 06:38

    Don't worry about that picture, I have a very weak stomach and I could not look at the picture except for a glimp's. I don't have the picture. I myself use very little impact. The job I was on the month of May everything was taken off and put back on with an impact gun. I will tap on the side of a socket, screw it back on the bolt, I have even taken off the socket and came in from the drive end and pushed it out. The guy that did that may have been in a hurry or inexperienced.

  6. #6Zed2012-06-11 07:45

    reminds me of the guy who stuck a drill up his nose and pulled the trigger... 'Cause it was itchy'. Whats worse he sued the drill company.. and won!

  7. #7orville2012-06-11 22:12

    Who was at fault the drill motor company or the drill bit company. Or did the two company's split the expense. Maybe the two company's should have sued the store that sold the two pieces to the idiot. Then that store could have sued the mother or parents that raised the idiot. Then the mother could have sued her son for being so stupid. That should have taken care of the settlement. Would have made a lot of happy lawyers.

  8. #8Dualie2012-06-13 03:13

    I have seen the pic, its brutal. Definately what you could imagine. NOT PRETTY and very broken.

  9. #9Taylortractornu2012-06-19 22:57

    I have another bit of advice, you see alot of guys use their hand to start a socket on a nut or bolt h by wiggling it. THen while impacting hold their hand on the socket for drag or steadng the gun. I had been warning a friend of mine about it on his 3/4 IR impact. He just got out of diesel college and know everything already. He learned a new lesson in life today. He was impacting a lug nut off a loader wheel and he was holding the socket to keep from letting it spin off. The 1 1/8 socket shattered while impacting and ripped his hand open. I saw some pics and you could see bones. In college in machine shop we had a jock that was taking our hop class to stay and play ball. He wasnt the brightest crayon in the box. We were in class and I was trying to show him how to thread on a lathe. I was explaining something about the compounds use i nthe process and I had a stainless 7/8ths nut laying on the table. All of a sudden Mr ball player stopped trying to be funny. He had screwed the nut up his finger between the first and second knuckle. He got in a panic and 911 was called. His finger was swelling up really fast. I got him to hold his finger under tub of water. I ued a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut 2 sides of the nut. .

  10. #10tonka2012-06-19 23:17

    yeah i saw the pic also, what a mess it was...

  11. #11markshr1512012-06-22 07:26

    I think it is all the lawyers fault.