For those of you whose responsibility it is to maintain and repair equipment and need to troubleshoot electrical systems, I don't know of a better product to help do so. I have not only been an Operator for the past 27 years I am also an Electrician and have been doing electrical work for 35 years. While helping a friend troubleshoot the electrical system in a '74 DeTomaso Pantera I found about this product, had it not been for the Power Probe, we'd have pulled ALL of our hairs out by now. They are not that expensive but worth every penny. WWW.POWERPROBE.COM
If you are interested in purchasing one, I would highly recommend the Power Probe 3!
They work great and will save you 100x what you pay for it over your life in money, time, gray hair etc. I've always hated electrical, until I picked up the power probe. Tom
TEC- You betcha Tom, they are time and labor savers in a big, big way. Glad someone else finally decided to fess-up about their experiences with them. I don't work for them I just figured I'd share something that might be helpful. Being an Electrician as well as Operator I know how frustrating it is to deal with something based solely on theory, well other than that fact it WILL hurt you if you're not careful.
i got mine as a gift, thought what the hell am i gonna do with all these little gadgets. its been a great gift, saved alot of cussing,head scratching. i would recommend one to any service tech that has to deal with any electric problems;-)
Hello FSERVICE, I'm happy to hear that there are more out there using them. I did a search on this site for Power Probe and came up blank. I figured with as much information I have been given I should give something back. I hope certainly hope if there are Tech's out there who haven't heard will read this thread and order one straight away. Like I said, if it had not been for a Power Probe that old Pantera would still be sitting with a torn apart and burnt out wiring harness.
agreed, i have a power probe2 and it was one of the best investments i have ever made for electrical trouble shooting
Dualie, You need to get hold of a Power Probe 3, the local Snap-On man tells me there are some worthwhile improvements.
so whats so great about them? i have seen guys who have them and dont even know what they are for. ive been using a fluke amp clamp and multi meter for years. whats the power probe advantage?
Good question bobb, Being an Electrician as well I can't argue with your choice of Fluke, I use them too and think very highly of them. But, you can't indentify and trigger positive or negative grounded electrical systems with any multimeter. If you have an issue with a circuit you can test it or any component thereof without the worry of constantly blowing fuses since it has its own circuit breaker built-in. Simply put it is a probe which can power a circuit for testing and troubleshooting, similar to a test light but one on steroids. I too know guys who own them and haven't a clue how to use them, they do however provide detailed instructions on use and it goes along way to read 'em. Check the link in my original post it will take you their site. If you own one and don't know how to use it, give it to someone who will learn.