DonJon Demolition Services a division of DonJon Marine Salvage demolishes the Bolmer Motor Car building in historic Bound Brook, New Jersey on November 24th, 2009. Built around 1916 the historic Bolmer building was home to Bolmer Motor Car up to the 1970's. It was a dealership for early Desotos and Plymouth's in the late 60's. The 2 story wood and steel frame brick building boasted a showroom on the second floor. In more recent years it served as a body shop and municipal garage for the borough of Bound Brook. The floods of Hurricane Floyd in 1999 put this and other buildings nearby under almost 12 feet of water weakening the structure. YouTube - DonJon Services Wrecks Bolmer Motor Car in Bound Brook
wrecking is the right word for this..
Looks like the Bobcat operator would do better moving the bricks without the grapple. Thanks for the clip.
When I saw the grapple teeth come down I said to myself..that's not gonna work. On the other hand you use what you have to make things work, I guess.
I dont think their getting that deposit back on the fence
Thobob, I think you're right. But I'm curious how you might have approached this job if it were in Norway. Can you outline the steps you might have used to bring the buildings down, and list the types of equipment/attachments to do it?
Not very different, but in general slower, more sorting directly, more controlled demolition, used a smaller machine etc. And of course used a sorting/demo grab (see the grapple vs thumb post). especially the part around 6min in the video is quite bad demo work in my opinion. Maybe we would have used a container with water for sorting of brick and wood if the sorting was good enough. edit: remember we pay 3-4 times more for waste going to landfill than in US/Canada.
I am sure whatever was reusable or recyclable was saved. Dumping fees at the landfill may not be as high as the other countries, but it's not free. And people restoring old homes and buildings pay good money for old bricks, so I really doubt they went to a landfill.
too much dust... at least for Seattle. Really well made video!
great video. a lot of dust because those guys get in and out and don't mess around. they show up, hit the building hard and it is down fast. just the way good demo should be man.
If you look closely at that part of the video you will see that they have the road blocked off. Probably they were not allowed to demo that part of the building close to the road without shutting the road down. I don't know if you've ever been in Bound Brook, but I know that town pretty well, that is a busy road. I don't think the people who own the numerous shops on that road, or the local police, would appreciate it being shut down for very long. That is a high pressure situation, I would think they would just take it down quickly and sort out the materials later.
Bricks were all sorted and separated for quality and sold to someone that reuses old bricks. When I arrived the day after the main demo they were filling 3- 30 yard dumpsters with them.
They had road closure with police detail from 7:30 AM til 3:00 PM just off the rotary in the heart of Bound Brook. The front corner of the building stood just 6 feet from the curb. Although the fence section was compromised no debris fell more than 10 feet into the closed road section and was easily removed and swept up.
I know they did not do anything wrong! On the contrary, I was just explaining to Thobod why they were not taking their time when they demoed close to the road. I felt his criticism was not called for, since there is not much chance he has ever been at that site. Same with the bricks, I am no demo expert, but I have seen enough of it to know anything that can be recycled or reused probably will be, if there is a market at all for it. I know that DonJon has been around for a long time and they know what they are doing.
I don't think Thobod meant to criticize anyone, so let's not jump to conclusions. Looks like a very well done demo job, with minimal impact to surrounding businesses (who sure need the business, in this economy). Special thanks to Steve for providing us with another really cool video of the demo job. Next best thing to being there. Merry Christmas to all.
Sorry, haven't been there. No meaning being a besserwisser, just trying to explain what I/we would have done different. I didnt know there was a time limit on the work near the road. And yes of course I saw that the road was closed, but still lot of debris ended up in the road, meaning extra work for the crew cleaning up for the traffic.
I like that word "besserwisser" but tell us what does it mean? :usa
its german, meaning a person knowing better than other
Wow that came down fast! The only way it could have come down faster is if they hired a rubber duck driver for the day and told him there was an ATM hidden inside the building!
450's are bad! Big and still fast, I would jump at the chance to do demo work in that nice of a machine. They probably could have taken a little more care when they got close to the sreet but still thats a lot of building to have on the ground in 4hrs.
yeah, it's a sweet machine and an excellent demo job. They sure did hit it hard and get it down fast.
Stephen: Are you still doing demo photos? What kind of jobs do you have going? Any good pictures to post of demo or your equipment in action?