Well I bought the 89' Mack should see in a coulple of weeks. The truck had to get DOT and some things fixed before I send money in. Had to get up 3am to fly down to Louiville stayed the night and flew back the next day. It's an old truck but ran great very little blow by. Was able to contact the original owner by using vin number and my local Mack dealer told me who bought it new. The only owner and he faxed me service records. New clutch, new rods, lifters, tires, turbo, springs one side and some other stuff. Used as a sand mover for Roverud in Springville MN. Even spoke to the driver for the truck that drove it for 18 years. Hope it will last for awhile. My question is this: with this new truck and 55k gvw what DMV, DOT stuff do I need to do. Numbers on the door etc. I don't plan on going over state lines or for that matter using it on the interstates. By the way a 7 speed was harder to drive than the 8LL. Are the new trucks this hard to shift? Thank you, John
Yes, Ny DOT #'s will need to be displayed, especially in NY where someone else was saying they have cracked down. State DOT #'s are different than fed, and where you are not crossing state lines, state #'s are all you need. I would also assume you need fuel stickers. In Maine you do, although I never have had them and have never been asked to display them. Any pics?
View attachment 1242 yes here is one. what do I need to do to get numbers? thanks
I have never driven a Mack 7 speed, but it seems like at least with the trucks I have driven that Mack transmissions shift kind of oddly, at lest compared to Roadrangers.
I assume it's a low rpm shifter? Let it bog down in the hole then drop to the next gear? That's a long body, 16'? Sweet color!
You will prolly want to get rid of the 7spd and go with a Mack 12 or find a Fuller 8LL. Mack really had some odd ball job specific transmissions especially for mixer trucks. For a dump you want something easy to shift a 8LL is the easiest a 13spd would be better but the easiest to swap in would be a 12spd Mack transmission.
Some one once told me that the dot #'s aere for the life of the truck so if there was some on there they should work. but i don't know if that was from state to state or what. I drove a mack that had a 2 stick 5 plus the overdrive rpm shifted it fine
Dot Numbers are a hassle here in Mississippi If you run local they arent neede but state lines they come with a hassle. ITs DOT numbers are the same as the other trucks you have. When the trailer plant went under we landfilled for the mechanics removed the numbers off all the trucks. But EPA wouldnt allow us to change the name of the Landfill and we had to have out old DOT numbers that sucked bad. The state wound't give us the old nubers or issue new ones. So we found a few on an old door. Or cheat like me and run a Farmer tag lol Every months I have to let a DOT friend of mine document me with a load of soy beans. lol. Thats a great looking truck Im a sucker for an R model and just get all mushy over a Bmodel. Heck Mack ingeneral is my favorites. Mack Transmission especially a Maxitourq six What we call a five with a button is a pain at first. a friend told me you have to be a smaoker to shift a 5 with a button. Pull out of 5ththen take out a cigarette pull inot 4th light Cigarrette take a drag then shif again lol. They have to be at top RPM before shifting and around 900 to shift on ours.
Ford L9000, how much do think a 12sp would cost? atgreene, yeh, you would like the collor I am not sure :bouncegri Where do these numbers come from? Would my DMV issue them or are they with the truck. I dove the truck and not quite sure what rpm the truck shifts at. It will take some practice! Any of you guys have newer Macks? Someone was telling me that the newer Macks shift real nice.
...
Here is a link to obtain a USDOT # on line for free. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm If you only need a state # then contact your local state dot office , ours will isue a # through e-mail, mail, fax, or through any local weigh station but not verbaly over the phone. DOT#'s are free so don't let some 3rd party try to charge you for them. They do not run for the life of the truck but instead loose the numbers whenever the truck changes hands. Our state DOPT#'s are assigned to the owner of the truck and you run the same # on every truck you own. Hope this helps. Dwan
Like Dwan said - you can get them online. They are issued immediately - no waiting. DOT will then send you a letter with a number to call and set up a safety assessment meeting at your business. I applied for USDOT numbers because I was originally going to be crossing state lines, but so far I don't need to. Every couple of months I get a call asking if I'm operating across state lines - I say "No, not yet" - and they say "OK, we'll call back in a couple months". Eventually they will probably tell me that I don't need USDOT #'s and I'll have to apply for MDDOT #'s since MD requires one or the other. Like others said the DOT number is for the company so it's the same on all your trucks and tracks your safety record etc. Enjoy the Mack!
You will have to search the wrecking yards to find a old Wrecked Mack with a 12spd in it or one with a 8LL. I did a quick search and found you can pick up a rebuilt 12spd for 3500 dollars plus 1000 dollar core charge. A rebuilt 7spd is 4000 dollars plus 1500 dollar core charge. A 7spd is more odd ball so thats why the price is higher. You can get a rebuilt 13spd fuller for 2500 dollars plus core charge of 400 dollars but the problem you will run into is buying a new PTO and modifying the PTO shaft and pump location.
DOT numbers are assigned to the company operating the truck, not the truck. You retain the same number until the company ceases to operate.
The link that Dwan gave is great, thank you, but do I need them for a truck that will never leave the state? Or travel the interstates? Ford thank you for the info but for now I think I will learn to drive the 7 speed, already spent to much this year !!
Try this site, http://www.dot.state.ny.us/ts/files/usdotnumbernotice051806.pdf Hope this helps
Here's another: http://www.dot.state.ny.us/ts/license.html#property I didn't read through it completely(NY's rules),but if it doesn't specificly say sand/gravel/dirt/sod are exempt commotities,and you're operating "for hire" you'll need to get your own intrastate operating authority,and do alot of bookkeeping and other stuff as required by the FMCSA. Good Luck.
Also,at a GVWR of 55K,no matter if you're private,for hire,whatever,you'll need to file a Federal form2290 with the IRS for the heavy highway use tax,even if you don't leave the state.If you put on less than 5000miles per year,you won't have to pay,but you still must file. In MN they have dirt,sand,gravel,sod as exempt commotities,if hauled less than 50 miles,so no Intrastate Authority is needed.But over 50miles everything is needed.I looked again in NY's rules but couldn't find any references to exempt commotities.A dumptruck falls under the "property" authority,if you're going to look for it. If you're a private carrier,you may get away with just a USDOT#,a 2290,and possibly some record keeping,and drug testing requirements from the Fed's.(for your CDL)
Yes, you'll need numbers for that too. When you apply it will ask you whether you travel inter or intra state.
ok, went on line and got my numbers. Done. Funny thing, I never see anybody else around here with them on. Also sold my GMC today, goodby truck!
Here,your not required to display the DOT#'s unless you cross a state line,although you must always have proof of your #s whenever you're stopped by the DOT with the vehicle. That's for intrastate exempt,and private carriers.Household,property,and passenger carriers and all interstate carriers must display the #'s all the time.
In NY, you are required to display them. In my area we get slammed by DOT periodically and they look for any slight infraction so I've got mine on the doors.
We have the same thing where I am. We are required to have numbers but I'd guess that nearly half of the trucks here don't have them. Or names on the trucks. Or covered loads.... But it's best that you have everything right to reduce the pucker factor whenever a trooper/sheriff/dot cop goes past.
I dont think so a majority Mack in the Refuse and Cement industry was ordered with a T2070 2060 OR 2080 there is alot more 2070's than 12spds I would not recomend the swap the above mention trannys have a .60 high hole while the 12spd has a .79 he has 5.55 or 5.73 gears in that Mack most of the 12's was pair with 4.42 or 4.17 rears futher more it is a safe quess that trucks has a E6 300ML which makes 1490lb of torque at 1050rpms the truck does not need to be turning alot of R's to move the load 12spds where mated with 350Macks which have alot less torque at a higher rpm
Nice truck
we just had our safety audit on friday, pretty painless and the trooper was very nice.. a little more paperwork and record keeping. the only thing he was saying is they fine you big for is lack of drug testing. idk if thats federal or state standards but 50% of my cdl drivers have to be drug tested every year...
According to the man in the grey DOT patrol car that pulled me over 3 months ago, "any time you use a truck to make money, either by hauling a load & charging for it, or by hauling your equipment, which you charge for, you have to have DOT #'s on the truck". The same #'s go on all the trucks within the same fleet & they DO NOT go with the truck when you sell it. Most small companies around here do not have them yet, but according to the man who pulled me over, they soon will. They were easy on me, but he assured me, if I were pulled over again without them, it would be a long day. He said anything one ton & over used for proffit should have the DOT #'s
jmac- That truck must have been very well cared for, it looks great! How much was the price tag? AZ
I just went through all the numbers game. here goes. If you just stay in state and are not registered in other states all you need is your dot#, as long as you say your hauling your own product for your own job,but I found its hard to get away with all the time. If you cross lines and are hauling for hire then you also need your own operating authority which requires another number called an MC #. It is a one time registration that cost 300 dollars. Then you have to go to your insurance company and tell them you need federal filing for your insurance. What the gov. requires is 750,000 liability coverage if you don't pull a trailer and equipment, if you do is is1,000,000 coverage. You also have to get cargo insurance to pay for clean-up and replacement of your load if you tip it over on a highway. I have 750,000 liability and 5,000 of cargo. Costs about 2400 a year. Also if you are not enrolled in a drug screening program enroll in one immediately. you need that whether your driving in state or out of state. costs about 100 to 150 a year. hope this helps you out.
Welcome to HEF dumptrucker! :drinkup
Thanks, great site!:notworthy
subject We have a 89 Mack tri axle with the maxidyne tranny in it,2 shifters and I hate it. Seeing as how you said New York,I think a HUT sticker is required also on to of the regular IFTA sticker.But not sure about that.When I was driving otr my truck had a regular IFTA sticker and ion order to run thru N.Y. a HUT sticker had to be on the front bumper of the truck,drivers side.:drinkup
Yeah , used to have a hut sticker, don't need it anymore.
subject Them HUT stickers aint cheap to buy either.Vermont huh?I used to go up to Brattleboro atleast one a month,really enjoyed the country and pretty nice people too.Made fun of my Ky accent,but I realy didnt mind,was all in fun...I think.
Hey guys im new to the side and this is a great site by the way. But i was wondering what do you guys look under on the NYS site about getting the NYDOT #'s? All i seem to find is info about USDOT numbers. Is it hard getting DOT #'s in NY? Also a cdl is required to get the numbers right? Thanks mike
Welcome to HEF YamahaYFZ450, I ride a Kawasaki, but I guess I can't hold that against you, since you did join one of the best sites around Where in Ny are you from?
Welcome to HEF YamahaYFZ450! :drinkup
CDL is not required for DOT numbers, since a DOT number is based on the vehicle, and not the person driving it. I don't have time right now to look up the appropriate sites, but I believe DOT numbers are required for any commercial vehicle over 11000lbs GVW. CDL is not required until the vehicle is in excess of 26000lbs GVW or CGVW. Joe
Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials. You also have class C cdl for any "commercial pickup" so to speak.
That's the way I understand the DOT #'s as well - any commercial vehicle over 11K lbs GVW. It is a Federal requirement. We got ours on our trucks last fall when the deadline was Jan. 07. Then the deadline was extended to July 07 because of the confusion in the requirements - imagine that, confusion with Fed. gov. regulations. I have an 06 F350 single with a GVW of 11k and it is a commercial vehicle but they are going to have to write me up before I put the numbers on my truck . All the other pickups, 1 tons, 2 tons and dumps have the #'s. That's the CDL rules in a nutshell. I got my class A CDL with a 25900 GVWKhooklift single axle and a 14k tag trailer. I am going for my hazmat endorsement next to be able to drive a fuel/lube truck. We need the ability to haul more than 110 gals in a pickup transfer tank. I need to take the time to go and get my background check - I have heard it takes close to 30 days to get it back.:beatsme
The 7 speed is easy to shift I have more trouble with a 8LL.
While we're on the subject, once you have your DOT numbers, one of the requirements is random drug testing. I have heard people mention that if you are a small operation, you can join a testing "pool". Does anyone know how to go about doing that? Joe
I am in one of those pools for drug testing. It costs about 160 dollars to set up and about 100 bucks a year after. They send you all the forms you need to keep on hand for the fed gov. The company I am with is Foley Services Inc. Their phone # is 860-633-2660.
I too was with Foley for 1 year---besides shuffling papers,I felt they did nothing to earn their $100 so I dropped them and haven't enrolled for at least 8 years or so.Never been bothered,even at DOT checkpoints.It's very discriminatory,another slap in the face of all truckers who are getting singled out and for companies like Foley to raise their bottom line.Maybe,if the rich Lindsay Lohans of the world were found guilty of driving under the influence and their fine would be to pay truck driver's testing--then that would be fair.Way more cars with doped up drivers than truckers.
:thumbsup Couldn't said it better myself! I guess if your rich and famous our laws do not apply - but if your a hardworking guy/gal your butt is put through the ringer by overregulation.:Banghead What would happen if yours truly got a DUI and then missed the court date? I would be getting use to the color orange and wearing cheap flipflops, but if your a media icon that gets you tons of media coverage and interviews on Larry King Live. The only interview that most of us would get would be with Larry who thinks he is the King, out in the prison yard. Sorry for the hijack, I will get off my:soapbox
I have never been bothered by dot for drugtesting either , until they did a safety audit. I had to get it within 30 days or a pretty hefty fine was going to be given to me. Can't remember exactly what the fine was but it was in the thousands of dollars. So I guess 100 a year ain't to bad.