I have a 98' IH 4900 S/A w/ a DT466E (200 H.P.) Engine and a 5 Speed Trans. Question is, it has a 25,500 lb GVWR, but what is the GCVWR? I looked at the IH website and came up with nothing! Any help would be great. Oh yeah, I just bought a 02' 650H LGP John Deere Dozer w/o Cab (18,900lb) I just want to know If I can Haul Behind The S/A? Thanks again!
I dont know the GCVWR but will say. That if you can't tow 18,000# behind a 25,500# truck something is wrong.
I would think that with a 25,500 truck it will tow it ok but your stepping up to a class A cdl because you will need at leat a 20Klb trailer to tow it
gcvwr is the combined weight of truck and trailer or load. The truck he is talking about is about 11k not 25k. The load he is talking about is a 22k trailer including dozer and trailer and that truck will not pull that very well or under his gcvwr or (gross,combined,vehicle,weight,rating). Unless truck has 8LL and around 300hp.
To be sure, get your VIN # and call the IH dealer. They can tell you all kinds of cool info.
The Truck Scales at 14,300 lbs. The only reason that I ask is that I see guys on other sites towing 22,000+ with 3/4 ton trucks w/ automatics. I know it won't pull fast but I would think that a 14,000 lb truck should be able to handle 22,000 lbs?
You would probably be able to pull it, but that will almost certainly be pushing the truck, engine and trailer to the max. I've pulled my excavator (#18,000) with my single axle Ford L-8000, (210HP, #19,800 empty weight, #34,000gvw) and although it seemed capable, I wasn't really comfortable with it on the back roads and big hills.
I have a 1991 International 4900 dump truck that scales at 15,200lbs (double frame). It has DT466 at 230hp and a Roadranger 10 spd. I tow the weight you are talking about on a daily basis. I find I definitely need the 10 spd to do an adequate job and even then it is not the fastest thing on the hills. I live in a hilly area. I am currently working on taking the engine to around 270hp to help with the hills. In my opinion, you can safely tow the weight you are talking about, but you will really be working it with just a 5 spd. I am assuming you have air brakes - they made some of these with hydraulic brakes. I would also make sure you have good trailer brakes - especially important when what you are towing weighs more than the tow vehicle. My dual tandem trailer has electric brakes and they work suprisingly well. I have a Prodigy brake controller which I really like. Changing transmissions might really turn out to be a project, however, you might be able to pick up a 2spd rear end fairly cheap that would really help with the load. By the way, what is your rear end ratio? Mine is a 4:44 which tops out about 65mph. If yours is higher by very much, you will have an even bigger problem towing that weight. If so, a 2spd rear could solve that as well by selecting one with a better ratio. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
My work truck has 4.78's and tops out at 73mph. I dont think it would like it if I held it there all day, but as a utility truck, it doesnt those rpms too often. It hits 2950rpm under load.:thumbsup Mine was 230hp originally, now I'm guessing 260-280hp & 800 or so for the tq. Makes a big difference getting going, but mine has an Allison, so the temp gets up there real quick. Last note, it weighs just over 26k on a daily basis, and keeps up with city traffic quite well.
It may pull it alright but how does it feel going down hill @ 55mph and you hit the brakes hard. Don't put your self in the position of not been able to stop for that school bus just around the corner. Stoping is a lot more important then been able to pull it.
Mine has a Voith retarder, I can exit the freeway at 70 weighing 30k, and not hit the brakes until 15mph and the off ramp is awfully short. I love having it!
what is the gcvwr on a ford L8000 hey hows it going guys im new to this site i own a 1987 ford L8000 single axle dump truck with the 7.8L motor and a 5 speed trany im thinking about takeing the dump body off and puting a 5th wheel on it so i can tow my 25 ton lowboy with it im olny 17 lol so i wanted to see if any one knew the gcvwr on that truck and if it was even legal or is DOT going to bust my balls thanks.
Look at your driver's door jam for the placard that will tell you your GVWR and your GCVWR's. Lots of possible options on big rigs,it's all how Ford built yours.I'm almost positive though that 50K lbs.is too much for your ride.That's tandem country--serious weight.
Tommjr : does the truck have air brakes ? ....... unless the laws down u'r way allow other braking systems on the trailer to work with u'r truck to give you the GVW or GCVWR you are looking for. Up here as long as your axel and tires ratings are not exceeded, with an air braking system you can tow just about anything..... but that is with a 5th wheel hitch .... if it is a pintle hitch set up they feel that you can only bear so much weight forward until your steering gets too light. In your case the trailer rating and braking system would be the key, then you would have to up your licenced GVW or GCVWR of the truck I too have a single axel tractor, an L8000 with a grossly under powered naturally asperated 3208 (no turbo, 180hp) with an RT 95-10spd tranny , 6:71 rear gearing (slow as hell, but lift like crazy) it has air brakes on 24.5" 16 ply rubber. I pull a pintle hitched 40,000# rated GVW tandem tilt deck with air brakes too .... I load every day my 312 Cat excavator, which weighs just over 32,000#'s on it, totally legal ..... its slow as hell on the hills but it gets me there and back safely You can listen to comparisons all day long like this but it comes down to the state laws that you have where you are ..........:beatsme
ok thanks for the input guys i will have to look in the drivers side door to see what it is the olny reason i want to make it in to a tractor is so i can move our wheel loader around and DOT here in new york sucks there out to get yea lol they dont like it when i tow the loader on our 20 ton tag.