Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DOT ??? Personal L9000

planecrazzzy ยท 2016-11-17 07:07

I'm wondering if I have to get a DOT number for my Ford L9000 I'm not a company... So far I use it for my home projects, But I plan to pull my 580 Case around later... (I'm picking up a 10 Ton Tag next month -1988 Belshe ) I put some future company info on the doors...( JAM is "J"ust "A"nother "M"ike ) Blank doors attract Cops Last time I looked into a DOT number , I was swamped with DOT Spam from all over. Would "Not for Hire" on the door need a DOT number ? IF I do need the DOT.... Where is the Best place to contact them ? I'm guessing in my home state of MN... But wondering WHY I was getting DOT spam from other states ? ( Failed Dump Truck Money Adventure ) . Gotta Fly... JAM

Replies10
  1. #1Jonas3022016-11-17 08:03

    http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/faqs .

  2. #2planecrazzzy2016-11-17 23:52

    Hmmm, link messed up

  3. #3Steve Frazier2016-11-17 23:53

    In NY you'd need the DOT numbers regardless of use. Especially with your name and number on the door like that. It's kind of hard to convince a DOT officer you're not for hire with that info there, why else would people need to contact you?

  4. #4planecrazzzy2016-11-18 00:04

    if "not for hire" would work... I'd remove the info I put the info there to blend in for now

  5. #5GerSeven2016-11-18 00:26

    I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart could write "not for hire" on their doors, too - private carrier. Try http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/faqs.html Then if you like, go to FMCSA website and stay away from all the text, faxes, spam you get from your information being out there. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration

  6. #6planecrazzzy2016-11-18 09:23

    Thank you... That link worked... and it explained I need a DOT number because the weight is over 10,000 lbs... I better git on it. Gotta Fly...

  7. #7CatToy2016-11-18 14:29

    If what you state in the original post is true, the truck is only for your personal use (key is you are not in commercial operation for a business or as a business for compensation), I do not think you need a DOT number according to Fed rules. MN may say different. I have been down this road a few times with my race car truck and trailer (combined weight is > 26k). Since hauling my race car is a hobby and I do not accept prize money or any thing of value (i.e. - not commercial and no monitory gain from the trucks use), I do not need a DOT number but need a CDL here in TN.

  8. #8planecrazzzy2016-11-18 22:17

    I need to call them, I answered the quiz and it told me I didn't need a dot number

  9. #9td25c2016-11-18 22:46

    Sounds like you are good to go ! With currant tags & insurance on the Ford 9000 only thing left to do is putter to work making money . Nice looking truck !

  10. #10planecrazzzy2016-11-19 07:47

    I'm going to call them and talk to someone... Funny thing about the truck , usually you go around and find other bad things after you get it home. Actually , just the opposite with this truck. For as cheap as I got it... I really got a solid BIG little truck... I say Big little because it's a two axle.... But with an L-10 and a Spicer 10 speed Hard part about buying OLD here in MN..... Rust problems... This Truck doesn't have the heavy corrosion.... Very light surface rust. and I can get more uses for it than just a Dump Truck. Gotta Fly... JAM