Here is a Series 60 that went Kaboom, not to be confused with the bathroom cleaner. Truck Shop
Run-away?? doesn't look like a blown inj. tip..
No-no run-away, well he was halfway down Cabbage Hill 6% grade 5.5 miles long with full jake at 2000 rpm. Then it started to run-away:eek2 He said it made a noise like Sly & Stones, Boom shaka-laka-laka, Boom shaka-laka-laka Truck Shop
That looks expensive, head looks trashed, block salvageable? Howard
It shattered the liner, blocks junk, heads junk. It's under warranty. Come on RZ I know you have something to add. Truck Shop
2000? 2000 you say? Do I hear 2500? Or the lash settings were *just* a tad off somewhere.... The ECU may tell a story. I've rolled off of cabbage grossed over 100K, 3406B w/Jake, rolling along at about 25mph as I recall... enjoyed the scenery.
The info has already been down loaded, 2,050 is what it was turning when it let go. He was cruising a 39 mph. It wasn't lash settings it dropped a valve. We had a Cat 5EK do the same trick a few years back.
Oh well, CAT you expect to puke valves, pretty much any of the C series engines, lol.
Did it actually drop a valve or stick a jake? I did see a 60 that ran away on turbo oil... it stopped when the piston turned sideways. And an early Series 50 that had a piston come apart, same results with both engines, junk block and head.
I have seen a few that went that way. The last one I did was a 5EK that they changed a turbo on and didn't clean out the oil on the air cooler. Made a mess, but saved the block. The one before that was a series 60 coming off of woods creek loaded cattle pot. I remember a N14 coming off of Eisenhower on I-70 number two went and made the block a lot of pieces, kind of split it in two. Always fun to see the carnage when things go wrong.
Warranty?? Do you REALLY think their gonna warranty it.. Not trying to be a s.a.. just really want to know..
It might be a Detroit re-man, under warranty, in which case they might. Probably why they've downloaded the ecm?
This engine was Inframed by dealer 77,500 miles ago with extended warranty. Yah their going to eat it. I quit doing in house rebuilds three years ago because of my back surgery and because of things like this. If we did it we get to eat it. And the states we cover, we can't be doing in-house rebuilds any more IMO. Four years ago a company we do repair work for [transmissions, clutches, rear-drives, brakes and services] had a 3406 6TS in a T-800 that needed a in-frame. I begged out on doing it, good thing too. They had it in-framed by Cat and bought the OPT warranty. One month before the warranty ran out I got a call to drive out to the elevator where it was being loaded, they said it started to make some bad noise. I found the crank had broke near the front structure, call a tow truck and take it to Cat. That company was relieved because they bought the OPT warranty it also covered the original crank. That was $11,000 they didn't have to waste. I have had in the last six years to many problems with even oem parts. And the turbo on that Series 60 was changed out at the time of the in-frame. Truck Shop
It'll be interesting to see the outcome. If the ecm says it wasn't red-lined, then it wasn't red-lined.. Hard to argue w/ something that wont argue back.. BUT, that is going to be 1 EXPENSIVE repair bill.. I would love to be a fly on the wall in that warranty meeting.. Service mngr to mechanic>> You mean to tell me, YOU CANT FIND 1 THING, that point to operator error??!!! SH*T...
The reason it was in-framed to begin with, it was pressurizing the cooling system. I gauged it while driving it with a loaded trailer, 19 lbs she read. This engine was a factory recon that came in a glider. A factory recon Series 60 DDEC-IV is $23,000 complete. Your going to have one go up-side down now and then. It's the trucking business. I pretty much just do gear work anymore. Truck Shop
I hear you on all of the above. Anymore the only engine work I will do is old 2 stroke Detroits, 3406As and Bs, and non electronic 855 Cummins. I am not buying the tooling to do an occasional ISX or ISM, or worse any Cat C series. Hell, I'm happy just to weld farm implements back together. One ton Chevy with a crane and welder is all I need now. And it pays the same.
My shop is the same way.. 855's and the big 12 cyl. KTA 50's.. Cummins even sent us a KTA to overhaul.. that's THE LAST TIME they'll bid a KTA job against us.. lol Funny story behind that.. The bid was out there.. and they won it by 10's of thousands.. BUT the contract had a rediculously short time frame.. NOBODY really wanted it because of the time frame BUT you had to bid on it, to stay in the game, if you know what I mean.. If you missed the contract date you were fined 10K a day for every day it was late!!!! They didn't have the tooling and they dropped it in our laps 2 MONTHS after THEY won the bid.. They ended up furnishing ALL the parts NEW.. because they didn't have the time to reman them and make the delivery date and not go bankrupt.. Heads, injectors, inj. pump, blowers, you name it.. it was ALL NEW stuff right off the shelf.. We had a good year that year.. them.. not so much.. lol
I'm the same way, I try to avoid overhauls, other than old Cats, Cummins and Macks. Lately, I have had 3 3406C, PEEK that weren't running right. Haven't seen one in ten years. Keep trying to say no to trucks. I mainly try to stay hydraulics and electrical.
I might still do a B model or some early Cummins, If the Cummins has repair sleeves in the counter bores I won't touch it though. I look in my tool box at the rebuild tools and just wave at them. About the only one I use now and then is the sled gauge to check liners for someone. I have always liked working on Eaton Fuller transmissions. Truck Shop
Transmission work is good duty. I got an E9 Mack that dropped a valve seat and a Cummins BCII that locked up and quit turning to go through in the next month. Then a D330 cat that came to me in a basket. Use that stuff for filler in between. It's all good.