Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DOT # scam, anyone else?

Natman · 2024-12-14 10:38

For the last several months I've been getting hammered, sometimes more than once a day, with texts telling me my DOT # needs to renewed/is about to expire etc. The official guv motor carrier sites, both state and federal, are so confusing these scammers are taking advantage of it, I just got an email telling me the "fee" for my renewal is $287.00! The return address is real official appearing, and since I was in the middle of dealing with Idaho's registration process, nearly got sucked into responding, but not quite. For years I'd just take my paperwork down to a nearby Port of Entry, just 4 miles away, drop it off, stop by the next day and after writing the check out get my paperwork for next year's operation. This was for registration/licensing, nothing ever mentioned about a DOT# or renewal of same. The state did away with that, it was too simple I guess, and now it's all done over the internet. I started the process, thru the official state site, and got a response saying that until I paid the DOT renewal fee things were at a standstill. A bit of research shows that my DOT# IS active and in no need of renewal, according to the FED's own site anyway. Even if it was in need of renewal (and it may be, as of the first of the year, I think anyways) there is NO fee for renewal. At this point I'm done with doing it thru the internet, there apparently is a process to actually call the state people (but I can imagine the hassle and wait times of that) to get re-registered, but come Monday I'm going to try and wade thru it. I don't carry people, goods, or operate interstate, it SHOULD be pretty simple. Anyone else hear of this DOT scam?

Replies19
  1. #1Labparamour2024-12-14 10:50

    I say “scam.” Open public records allowing people/businesses most likely offering to do for a fee what you can do for free. I’ve received many similar texts and, like you, gone to actual government site to verify and/renew.

  2. #2Natman2024-12-14 11:00

    I just looked again at the email, they even offer a help line with a Boise phone number, they really did it "right," and a street address right where official state buildings are known to be, but the bogus $287.00 fee is still being asked for, interesting. BTW: In a few different full anal port inspections by state troopers, my DOT has never come up in any way shape or form. Now I'm actually looking forward to the phone call to the the state, it can't be more confusing then doing it over the net.

  3. #3Coaldust2024-12-14 11:01

    I probably receive a text, e-mail or letter once a week, at least. Your MCS-150 is due!! What a scourge. Next, is offers for unsecured business credit and the best factoring rates. Last, is probably boner pills.

  4. #4Coaldust2024-12-14 11:04

    “ In a few, different full anal port inspections by state troopers,”. Definitely watch out for that one. Watch your corn hoke, bud. That would be unpleasant. Get your colonoscopy done by a legit health professional.

  5. #5Labparamour2024-12-14 11:17

    Hmm, I was offered the pills as a free bonus with a renewal…

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-12-14 11:26

    Get old enough you won't need to worry about boner's/pills and such hell you won't even be able to pee. * Hospitals don't even perform those anymore, That isn't even available in some areas.

  7. #7excavator2024-12-14 12:09

    I drive a KW T600 tandem service truck, I was getting every different notice about what needed to be done annually. One day I saw the WSP scale guy parked at the fire station down the road so I stopped and chatted with him about what I needed to do every year. After talking for an hour and a half and him calling the DOT auditor we determined that all I need to do is an annual inspection on my truck, which I can do myself if I want, I was told that I don't even need to do the drug test. I still get the emails, phone calls, letters ect. but I just ignore them.

  8. #8Acoals2024-12-14 13:14

    Getting a DOT number is basically signing up for constant, never ending spam. Thanks, Fed . . .

  9. #9Coaldust2024-12-14 14:00

    A lot of unsolicited phone calls, too. I wonder if I could accept all the finance offers at the same time and then move to a non-extradition country and retire.

  10. #10Acoals2024-12-14 14:14

    Phone calls, emails, texts, letters in the mailbox; I receive DOT related spam via every method except carrier pigeons and smoke signals, so far anyhow . . .

  11. #11Tags2024-12-15 11:26

    Same. Complete horsesh!t. Thanks for sharing my info federal government. Get all the same stuff and it’s all nonsense. It costs nothing to update and maintain your DOT#s, except massive amounts of patience, the federal govt website for dot#s is a complete joke and god forbid if you click the wrong thing….

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-12-15 11:27

    Anything can be hacked anytime anywhere.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-12-15 11:48

    I did click the wrong thing when updating my cargo tank facility registration, last time. Didn’t take long to receive a sternly worded nastygram in the mail saying fix it. I accidentally clicked the box that said propane tank repair.

  14. #14CM19952024-12-15 12:58

    Pretty much anything the gov't fed, state or local does/concocts/demands will be totally screwed up. Except taxes...they do taxes "well"...

  15. #15ahart2024-12-15 13:38

    I get these same texts every day, they even send letters to the house threatening to shut my business down if I don’t send money. It’s ridiculous, they’re trying to take advantage of people that don’t know better. Probably wasn’t this bad before the internet, like many other things.

  16. #16Natman2024-12-15 13:52

    I've had the same # for over 20 years, but just in the last year started to get slammed. It's a pretty "good" scam, using the federal government, who we all know can be a real pain, to put fear into people. I responded a couple times to the texts, with RETIRED, though I'm not, thinking that may help, nope. Then I responded once with harsh language, that didn't hurt their feelings either. I especially hate junk texts as most of my work comes in that way, and when my phone beeps I hear caching/$$$$/a job, only to get pissed off, again.

  17. #17Acoals2024-12-15 13:55

    Well spoken.

  18. #18Natman2024-12-16 09:33

    I'm still fighting action by the IRS over a 1099 that was filed by a quick and simple HVAC job I did over 3 years ago, instead of claiming I was paid $450.00, it stated I was paid $450,000.00! My customer immediately filed a corrective 1099 when I called them, but the Feds are still not buying it. I have a pro accountant who continues to tell me it's nothing to worry about, and will be resolved soon, while the last letter, one of a half dozen, I got from them (it's always a cheap thrill to get a registered letter from the IRS) said something about seizing and impounding stuff!

  19. #19John Griffin2024-12-17 09:00

    Got to love the situation where you didn't screw up but are held accountable for it. I'm still fighting with them over W-2s from 2016. They say I didn't file them. I did. A grand total of 4 times at their repeated request. Have the read receipts to prove it but the idiot at the IRS says that doesn't prove you sent them to us since we didn't sign it. The IRS mail room stamps all the incoming read receipt certified mail....