I have a triaxle dump truck now, and I'm scared as hell to have to pull into a HWY weigh station. Can anyone walk me through what is going to happen, what they expect and inspect, and what paperwork they want to look at? FYI, the truck is a 2007 Kenworth T800 Triaxle dump truck and is not a converted tractor. Truck is in good condition.
Get a tare wt on each axle full of fuel, that will tell you the net you can haul, Make sure you have currant inspection, Insurance, and Dot required permits if any. As far as scales go, cross it and find out. If there are any major problems they will let you know. But you will know when your in big trouble because the scale master will ask you how big your head is {for the hood needed as they march you out to the gallows}. These guys all had major cdl offences
The best thing you can do is find a good truck shop and have an annual inspection done, which needs to be done yearly anyway. If everything is in order you will get a sticker to put on our door, if not fix what it needs. Not saying that the DOT might find more but at least it shows you are trying. Be up front and honest with them, most of them are ok to deal with unless they find you're trying to pull a fast one.
That's mean, TS
The two biggest things that determine how it will go are the trucks appearance and your attitude. If the truck looks good, tires are good etc and you’re not overweight odds are it’ll go ok even if they find something small. That’s assuming you have all the proper credentials to be operating. For piece of mind make sure you have the paperwork you’re supposed to, it’s all in a binder or something that’s quick and easy to show them. Get familiar with it so when they ask you can whip the document out for them. Next make sure you have the standard safety equipment, fire extinguisher, triangles, spare fuses etc. Your name and numbers are legible on the truck, it’s clean, not leaking fluids or pissing air. Or do like I do and go around them....lol
Junkyard... "Or do like I do and go around them....lol" I always say..... "When in doubt go around". Some are easy and some can be a pain to get around but I personally don't know of any that are impossible to get around.
Have your Banker,Lawyer ,Doctor and wrecker man on speed dial
Always tried to have lighting all functional, truck at least clean enough to read the labeling and names, listen to what they say IF they ask questions or IF pull you aside, do not give them reason to dig just answer and thank them when done. "Some are easy and some can be a pain to get around but I personally don't know of any that are impossible to get around.", go West young man, Go west, limited roads to 'Get Around'!!
I used to haul Livestock so I was was already on alot of those "limited roads" That being said I'm sure there are some that are nearly impossible to get around that I had not encountered.
Don't be that afraid, have your paperwork in order and your truck in shape and be respectful. You feel like they are looking for you specifically when you pull in there but you are just another random truck. They see them all. When they built the big inspection shop at the Ridgefield Port of Entry on 1-5 20 years ago I lived in fear of the place. Our yard at the time was the next exit north and I went around every time in the 76 Pete that I was driving. I thought it was in good shape but just knew they would find all kinds of stuff that would put me behind bars. One day I missed the exit to go around and got pulled in. They put me in the shop, gave a full inspection, gave a minor fix it ticket for the horn or something and said "we have been watching you go around for a while, where wondering when you would come through". After that never went around unless I had good reason which happens on occasion!
I have also found what really gains their respect is when you say things like "do you know who I am" and "I am paying your salary you know" and things like that...
If you sit really low in the seat they can't see you. Than just drive right by.
Just dark humor. The idea of skirting a scale-just cross it you will feel better in the end. And yes there are notorious scales to cross but usually that's ruled by the lead weigh master at that scale.
Sometimes we go around because we KNOW crossing them will not end well
Just drive by and when they chase you down, tell them you had no idea you had to stop, they will give you a pass
Better yet, drive right by it. If they come after you with the swirly lights on.....pretend you don’t see them for a few miles before you pull over. When the officer comes to the window and asks why the hell you didn’t stop immediately....tell him your wife ran off with a cop and you thought it was him trying to bring her back. If he laughs.....your free to go!
The only time I've run a scale was within gross but over on drives. And that was in the middle of the night, The scale was higher than the highway, waited till scale had six on the ramp slid by engine off lights off 1980.
Got it! Will keep doing what I have been doing for years. Don't take on any jobs that require going near the weigh station. The truck has passed DOT. Does anyone know if the equipment trailer also needs a DOT inspection. If so, what GVW size is that for? I have one 10,000 GVW trailer and another one that is 9 tons.
Have both inspected.
A dump or log truck at a weigh station is like a lamb going to a wolf pack asking what’s for dinner
I've never been waved over just because. One time it was a binder he didn't like, another time a flakey tail light that was fine when I inspected the truck. Other than that I roll through without issues. My 120 excavator on the 20 ton trailer, with the bucket off and loaded way forward just bounces 34,000 on the trailer axles exactly. They never blink at that.
You forgot proctologist......