I know that dozers almost always have single grouser track pads, but has anyone ever seen an application where double grouser pads have been used on a dozer? I'm aware of Caron compactor's double/half grouser tracks for chopping up municipal waste and minimizing slab damage at transfer stations, From a demolition perspective it seems that double grouser tracks would be better (or at least a *little* smoother) for operations where the dozer is consistently operating on a concrete slab. Thoughts?
Those look pretty mean. I think I need some new pads for my D3.
go for it. looks badass. but if you are always on concrete, maybe you should get some rubber pads?
In demo, long term preservation of the concrete slab is not generally important, and occasional performance on terrain, (such as debris and concrete piles) would still be needed. the overall environment would likely chew up rubber pads too quickly to justify the cost. I really have no influence in the buying of equipment, more curious than anything else. the companies I've worked for use dozers pretty much the last month or two of a job, and usually rent when needed, so we have little say in how they are spec'd.
I'v seen double grousers on a couple of 973 loaders that were for demo work. They had the standered double grouser with smaller grousers in between that were on a 45 deg angle and they sat lower then the others.
Hello Demoguy324, Those pads are intended for use in landfill. They 'apparently' give more traction through piles of trash and compact it more than normal tracks when they run over it, and the trapezoidal hole in the middle allows the sprocket to push out debris from the track. What they are mounted too in the picture is also a waste handling dozer, judging by the trash-rack on the blade and the bar behind the track to stop trash riding up the tracks.:my2c
Back to my original question though, APART from these caron compactor tracks, has anyone seen standard double grouser tracks on dozers in any OTHER applications?
Haven't seen them, but I don't know why it would not work. You would loose a little traction, but save the street some. It would be a trade off. You could weld grouser bar to the front edge of each pad and make your own, if that is what you want.
Hello again Demoguy324, Sorry I got off topic so to speak. I have only seen a double- grouser pad setup on one machine- a 953D that was working on a site that involved travel over dirt and a few concrete slabs. It had rubber attached to the top of each grouser- glad I didn't have to put that together :eek2...