Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roll the dice on a Case 850 thats been sitting 5yrs?

MacPhly ยท 2012-03-27 17:58

I'm a new member here and thought I'd seek your advice... There is a Case 850E that has been sitting by the side of the road near my house for several years (5-6). It was used by a developer to clear a large lot for a subdivision... then we all know what happened. Market goes in the tank, subdivision is on indefinate hold, dozer goes up for sale on the side of the road. The original asking price was $11500. I believe it is a mid 80s model. 6 way blade, with a rear root rake, although the rake has no teeth on it. I've popped the radiator cover and theire is still antifreeze coolant in the motor. Oil on the motor sump dip stick looks decent. there are no fluids leaking out of it. I've had it in the back of my mind for a long time. Assuming the machine worked when parked, here are my questions... 1. What kind of issues does non-use cause? 2. What kinds of inspections would you do... 3. What should be done prior to attempting to start it? 4. Most important how much would you offer? 5. Assuming it can not be started, would I be able to get it on/off a trailer to have it trucked to my house ( I dont have means of transport ) I know these are all newbie questions with very little info to work with but judging from the threads on this board I have read, this is the best place to get educated. Thanks, Mac

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2012-03-27 18:41

    Welcome to the forum Macphly! For 850E that is a good price, around here anyhow. Not being used for a long time would not be too much of a problem - drop all belly plates & give the machine a good clean. If they were packed high with dirt there could be some corrosion problems around steel hyd lines / engine sump etc. Best to change all oils & filters - including all the fuel. There should be no reason it would not start - try some new batteries & give it a go. Before you actually start it, crank it for a while with the manual fuel shut off in the kill position (at the injector pump). That will get some oil pressure up before it fires. Price would depend on the condition of the track gear - as I said the price they are asking is good, but if it has sat there so long & no one has taken it yet, you may have some bargaining power, or they may be sticking to their guns....... post some pictures of the tracks/sprockets & we will let you know Ask them if they have had it from new or if they know about any warranty repairs - 850E's had a problem with transmissions, but if it has been addressed it will be OK. see here - HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2MacPhly2012-03-28 19:33

    Thankyou for the reply. I just saw the land the machine is sitting on has gone up for sale so I'm going to have to move if I'm going to...