Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Downsizing excavator… maybe?

cheddarbob56 ยท 2014-12-11 11:47

Hey guys - we have a older Cat 235LC that weighs in at approximately 85,000 lbs. We picked it up cheap this last spring and have done some fixing on it and have been using it all summer/fall for demo and tree work mostly. It's a moose and will tear up about anything even though I think it's getting a little weak and sloppy. I'm considering trying to sell it and get something a bit newer, say mid to late 90's era and something in the 55,000 lb range. Do you think this is a mistake? Most of the jobs we did this summer/fall a smaller machine would have been just fine, this one is just so massive to move around it makes it a challenge. This is the first excavator I've run, otherwise have just run a mini (10K lbs) and an old backhoe. I just don't want to sell this one and regret downsizing but I think a newer machine would probably dig as fast as the old worn out one probably.... opinions please? Thanks guys. Chris

Replies10
  1. #1clintm2014-12-11 20:24

    if the 235 is close to being right power wise it would have a little more break out force than a later model 70,000lb machine but the 70,000lb machine will run circles around it and burn probley half the fuel.

  2. #2Shimmy12014-12-11 21:29

    You're probably looking for Cat 322 or 325B L, or any 240 size Deere, Case, Link Belt, or Komatsu 220.

  3. #3movindirt2014-12-13 13:44

    Even a 270 Deere would still be under 55k lbs

  4. #4sultan2014-12-13 15:52

    The old 235s were very solid machines, reliable and easy to repair. However, I understand that they are rather big for a small contractor to move around, and most are quite worn out now. I don't expect modern machines to last as long as the old 200 series cats did (with electronic issues etc) but they certainly move faster, burn less fuel, and are nicer to run. Something like a Cat 325BL/325CL or a JD 270LC/270CLC should be good. I have a 2000 JD 200LC and its a pretty quick and powerful machine for its size. If you have enough money, I'd recommend a C-series Cat. I find the C series Cats (2002-2006) are significantly smoother, quicker, and nicer overall than the older B series. Among 1997-2001 machines, I find John Deere excavators to be a bit better than Cat B-series, but Cat has much better dealer support than John Deere here.

  5. #5pf/l2014-12-13 20:00

    Our 06 hitachi 270 comes in at 70,000 lbs with one bucket and thumb. Just for comparison. I really like it, it'll chuck a pile of dirt in a day and isn't to horrible on fuel.

  6. #6DoyleX2014-12-14 11:26

    The old 235 is a good simple money maker if the engine, pumps sample out good. Being that old it probably needs the hyd pressures reset. Sometimes a machine that size is your leg up on the competition.

  7. #7cheddarbob562014-12-15 14:43

    How do you got about resetting the hyd pressures? Is this a "maintenance" thing to be done periodically? Sorry for the maybe stupid question but we are pretty new to the heavy equipment world. Thanks.

  8. #8DoyleX2014-12-15 20:03

    Periodically yes if you feel performance has changed. The dealer can do if for a couple grand. If you are knowledgeable with hyd and have a service book you can do it yourself.

  9. #9cheddarbob562014-12-15 21:08

    We have the service manual for it and I think we could handle it. We swapped motors on it when we bought it with a 3306 out of a 627 scraper (had to swap heads and manifolds and injector pumps etc.) because we bought it at an auction with a blown motor so we don't know much history on it besides what we have done to it since this spring. It seems like sometimes the boom/stick functions are nice and quick then the next time it's very slow like it isn't combining both pump flows. Also at times the stick function doesn't seem as strong as it does other times. The one thing I've found around here is the dealers aren't much help..... Service techs I've come across seem too young and don't know anything about these old machines (I'm only 30 myself but wish I could find an old timer tech who knows these things inside and out). I appreciate the guys and help from this forum a lot!!

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2014-12-20 14:13

    If you can swing it, keep the 235 and add a 320 or 325 sized machine to complement it. You will still have a beast when you need it and will have a smaller, faster, easier to move, and easier on fuel machine for most other jobs. Then you will be able to better compete big or small.