Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DOX cleaning

Acoals · 2025-01-23 16:11

I have a Cat 289D. The catalyst is supposed to be removed and cleaned (or replaced?) at around 3000 hours, at least that is my understanding. I have heard of the $8000 legends from having Cat do it, and I am not looking to delete it. Does anybody know where these catalysts can be sent to be cleaned, preferably as close to Wisconsin as possible? Also general opinions on preventing future downtime relating to the emissions gear on these machines. I haven't had any issues up to this point, but I don't have time for pulling engines in the summertime . . .

Replies5
  1. #1Ollie2025-01-26 20:41

    They want that much cause u need to pull the engine. Buddy did his 259d by lifting cab and struggle but doable.

  2. #2Sbird2025-02-06 11:19

    Did mine last year by lifting cab and pulling it through fire wall instead of pulling motor but it was a chore to do might have been easier to pull engine looking back I live in Missouri and I sent mine to a radiator shop in St. Louis to get cleaned had it done in about 3 hours the cat mechanic told me about the shop they did great job cleaned it and reassembled for $200 plus close to 200 for new gaskets and seals Afton radiator repair was the business Fenton Missouri I sent mine UPS to them and they shipped it back same day they got it in

  3. #3JD955SC2025-02-07 15:30

    The DPF is the part that gets cleaned (baked and blown out). Your cat dealer as well as many truck dealers and shops have the equipment. The real pain is getting to it. Good luck. Most of Cat’s small engines don’t have the cleanable DPF. This one does because it’s a Kubota sourced engine. You will need to inquire with CAT about any resets required after it’s all back together. The larger stuff has an ash model reset after cleaning, for example.

  4. #4Acoals2025-02-07 16:02

    I am planning on pulling the engine. It doesn't look like to bad of a deal, as engine R+R's go, but I guess I haven't done it yet.

  5. #5Nige2025-02-07 16:15

    IIRC according to those who have done it, it's very much six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you have good lifting equipment the complete engine R&R is possibly somewhat easier.