G'day fella's, I've posted this in the attachments section, so sorry if I should just keep this there! I've been checking out dozer attachments recently & have been thinking it could be a good investment we have a large rural community & gravel driveways etc a plenty. Been looking at the digga model, looks pretty cool. I'd really like to hear any thoughts on one of these, what to look out for, what are the must haves & the should nots! Cheers
are you just after a blade or the whole machine?
G'day Nick, THIS , or similar attachment for my Komatsu SK 818 is what I was thinking. Cheers.
Dozer blades can be very useful, but I think that you will find that you won't have a long enough wheel base... 1m on your machine and that it will struggle to be effective. This is based on my experience selling skid steers for over 8 years and seeing many customers try them. A CTL is ideal for running one of these. A 4 in 1 bucket is much better for grading.
Dozer/Grader attachment for skid steer Hi Yamaman. I was interested in the same thing a year ago. The research I did and the experiences I have had showed that a dozer blade on a skid would push stuff but did not lend itself to doing a smooth job for driveways, roads etc due to the short wheelbase of a skid steer. So I got one of these from eBay With the wheels out front and independent control of the blade which has its tow point at the front it works like a good grader should. The longer wheelbase enables you to cut the high spots on a road and fill the low areas. It will not dive in in soft soil and then ride over the hard stuff. Mine will push a good bladefull and is good for roads, driveways, building sites, spreading gravel/fill etc. This combined with a 4 in 1 bucket will really give you a versatile setup. Let me know if you want more info. Regards AusDave
That would be far better than a standard blade. The extra length would be key. That 1CX is about the same weight and wheel base length as the SK- 818 as well, so if it works for you it would probably work.
Well, there's some food for thought! Thanks fella's, I'd not ever seen a grader attachment, awesome! So you think using a 4 in 1 as a dozer & then final trim with the grader attach? Dave, any info on that machine you could send my way would be great thanks! Cheers
I bought one a few years back and honestly hardly ever use it. Maybe its just me but I find a plain ol' bucket and a few teeth to do a better job. However if you are going to buy one for using on roads I feel that the grader attachment will do a better job than the dozer blade. As someone mentioned the dozer blades do have a bad tendency to dive in softer dirt and raise up over the harder stuff.
looks better than a standard blade
TERM - the blade you have, does it tilt? I'd imagine a tilting blade would be fairly useful? Dave - that grader looks the goods. A lot of machine hanging out the front though. I guess I'm worried about it being too long! A lot of the work we do is in hilly/rock country, so driveways bend & twist a bit. That machine looks like it'd be awesome on a flat straight run, how does it go when things get a bit tight? Thanks for all the responses so far, it's great to have so much first hand knowledge to tap into, cheers.
Gday mate I have one I run on my CTL its a good thing for cutting swales, pathways, terraces etc they arent very good for fine grading due to the short wheelbase as mentioned. I find the grader a little too bulky for tight work and tend to use my Harley rake for driveway work as it does a great job quickly. If you are keen to get one though I would like to sell mine as I would like a tilting 4 in 1 for an upcoming contract. If you are interested gimme a call on 0411049898 John
Hi Yamaman. Long is good. That's what makes it easy to get a smooth job done just like a real grader which you'll notice is really long. You can even set the grader blade up with a laser to grade to a level. Here's a video doing a job in a confined space YouTube - JCB 1CX and grader attachment landscaping a yard If it's really f$#@ing tight then a Harley rake style takes up a bit less space and requires less pushing power. But more moving & wearing parts adds to the cost. If you don't have much room, a 4 in 1 bucket can do as you're not trying to get levels over long distances. I rough out a lot of my work with a toothed 4 in 1 and even need a ripper at times. Then I grade to a level finish. Works good for me, but everywhere is different. Regards AusDave