Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer Blade Hookup Issues

wolf44 · 2013-11-16 15:44

I could use you guys help once again. This time I have a skid steer dozer blade I am trying to hook up and can’t seem to understand how to do it . First off it’s a cat 6 way dozer blade going on a Kubota SVL-75. Standard hydraulic hook up with an electrical control hookup that I believe it controls the tilt function of the blade which is what I cannot get going. On my joy sticks the right one controls the angle function of the bade and works fine. The left joy stick controls tilt I just can’t seem to understand how the tilt function works ? It seems that even though I energize the spool valve it won’t move the tilt cylinder, no hydraulic flow. What am I missing about a cat dozer blade control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies22
  1. #1wolf442013-11-25 18:45

    What, I am the only one with a dozer blade ??? Anybody ???

  2. #2Lil' Puss2013-11-25 19:03

    Personally, when I want to do dozer work I use my bulldozer. :lmao (I'm comparing this to my Dual Dozer). Are you sure the solenoid valves are functioning properly, actually moving? Check the pressure source for that valve. Check all of the ground connections. Do you have a manual for it with schematics?

  3. #3Tags2013-11-25 19:13

    I think you need another switch to energize the solenoid on the blade to divert the flow to the tilt cylinder. On the kubota, the buttons on the right joystick control the aux circuit, the buttons on the left joystick would/could energize a switch/solenoid to divert the flow. You'd have to hold one of the buttons on the left stick while sending flow to the aux circuit, this should divert the flow to the tilt, once you let go of the left button it will return to controlling the angle. As far as owning a blade, I had one years ago that I bought used, I couldn't understand why the edge had hardly been warn down, then I tried it, and sold it. I can do more with a 4n1 than with that silly blade. The problem I found with it was they want to to use the tilt function of the loader to raise and lower the blade, it goes against everything I ever learned about running a dozer. You may have better luck with it, but a tilt tach and a good bucket may be a better bet in the long run....

  4. #4powerjoke2013-11-25 19:55

    No, I seen one at a Ritchie brothers auction one time.....unless you bought the one I seen and then yes you are lol jk Pj

  5. #5caterpillarmech2013-11-26 05:18

    I wired some of these a few years ago. You do need a separate switch to power the solenoids. I rigged mine on a three way momentary switch so I could use both functions on one switch. I built my own harness out of a three wire extension cord and ran power from the battery to the attachment. Put a loop in the cord going into the cab and had a magnetic mount for the switch.

  6. #6CRAFT2013-11-26 05:27

    wolf 44 ….. I think I can solve this for you !!! ….. you have a CAT blade with wiring matched to plug-n-play on a CAT skid-steer …. Correct ! ……. now you want to use it on a Kubota Skid-steer , probably with a 14-pin Deutsch plug-in connector mounted on the boom …….. Correct ! ………. SIMPLE ! …. I'll bet the blades wiring schematics don't match the Kubota's wiring schematics …… you are not getting the circuit to work at the manifold ……… Just because the plug-ins match-up in looks and plug together does not mean that the internal pins are match'd or even in the correct location …….…. I've gone thru this a hundred times when getting a brand X attachment to put on my Bcat ….. I have my machine's schematics or 14-pin locations Mastered …. so it's no big deal for me on mine but that did not come easy ….. TONS of homework to get it there ….. Check it out …..

  7. #7wolf442013-11-26 10:04

    We have tried to power the solenoids, no problem there, but what you have is NO flow to the valves. It seems that I need a diverter valve. where I can swap the flow from the blade angle cylinders to the tilt cylinder. the only hitch in this plan is that it seems that Cat is using hydraulic pressure to hold the blade at angle. Craft you say that you done this ? is this what you needed to do? As far as the ability to doze with this blade this is only for use at Deer camp to maintain roads drainage ditches and parking lots. It should be ok for that.

  8. #8Tags2013-11-26 10:30

    I believe you need to supply constant power to the solenoid which opens the circuit to the tilt and cuts off the flow to the angle. This would mean that while you are trying to tilt you'll have to hold the button down on the left joystick while tilting the blade. I had a blade on a 287b and this is how it worked. Hope this helps.

  9. #9CRAFT2013-11-26 14:48

    Look …..from what i'm seeing in the pics you provided is you have a manifold there that is requiring continuous flow triggered in the skid ……… from there the diverter valves supply hydraulics to either of the cylinders ……. the diverter valves are already those 2 units on top of the manifold …… I don't have a Dozer blade …. BUT I have a Blizzard 8611 pp, which is a snow blade that can angle left and right, as your dozer blade, it has 2 more functions that extend either or both wings out to widen the blade from 8'-6 out to 11' wide ….. these cylinders are double acting as yours are (other than mine has one more elec over hyd function at the hyd manifold than yours) ….. mine was a wiring nightmare for me, i'm no electrical engineer, LOL, but I had the OEM manual c/w wiring schematics that came with the new blade, Blizzard does NOT have a factory made harness that plug-n-plays for every skid-steer out there……. so I had to create one (which I did) I made dozens of ph calls to every where, Bcat dealers in the States and in BC,Alta,Ont. trying to find a dealer that had done this match-up Quik attach, Blizzard, you name it I called them ……. this was not the first time for me either …. the first time was when I bought the Hi-flow Buhler snowblower, again I had to figure out matching the 14-pin functions to the Bcat, on it there are 2 hyd motor functions and 1 hyd cyl to tip the deflector up and down ….. Both of those attachment were NEVER meant to Plug-N-Play into my Bcat or any other skid-steer for that fact ….. they BOTH had their own generic hand controlers which you Mickey Moused thru the door to their own controller ( PITA ) …… I paid big bucks to have the machine with all of the joystick buttons and wanted them to operate my attachments. Both of those attachments had "1" common denominator …. they BOTH required continuous flow from the Skid to the Hyd Manifold, from there the flow is DIVERTED to the other accessories/functions as it appears in your case by the pics ….. they DO NOT use hyd pressure to hold a cylinder from moving the diverters are a valve that open and close at the manifold ….. they usually open/close in pairs (1 in and 1 out) then when you let go of the joystick button, they shut off holding the hyd oil in place where you chose to leave it (positioning) ….. Get the original owners manual for the CAT dozer blade (which is probably made by BRADCO) …. you may be able to download it off of either Web site …. or maybe a dealer can send you one in PDF form ….. either way you need to see a wiring diagram for the blade ….. you will also need one for your Kubota Skid-steer ….. otherwise you'll need to know *** you are doing in order to figure out the combinations of pins you need to make everything work "Very Time Consuming" when this not your forte (as in my case I didn't know *** I was doing when I began …. LOL)……. OBTW ???? ….. did the blade come with a remote to stick (mag mount) in the cab ??? ……. because quite a few machines DO NOT have joystick control functions built in or 14-pin connectors, so they make a generic hand controller, alls you need then is 12v power ……

  10. #10wolf442013-12-05 16:28

    Got it working !!!! What I had to do was put power to both solenoids at the same time tied to the left joy stick right button. The back solenoid is the diverter and the front one is the tilt control valve. to make it work you push and hold the left joy sticks right button and work the right joy sticks rocker switch to tilt the blade. Easy ---- Damn I'm dumb....

  11. #11Tags2013-12-05 19:24

    You cant be too dumb, you figured it out! It's no easy task to figure it out without having the Cat manual for the blade, everybody does it differently, glad you got it working, hope it works well for you.

  12. #12wolf442013-12-06 07:27

    Thanks Tags: Now if it will stop raining in Atlanta for more than 5 minutes I will give it a try.

  13. #13KSSS2013-12-06 10:30

    Hopefully you will find some value in the dozer blade after all that. It seems for most guys its one of the those attachments that seems like a good idea, but with the short track on a CTL (especially smaller ones) the machine will really want to tortoise, and are light in the front of the blade making it hard to doze hard material. I think for backfilling drain tile or other types trenching they would work well. Congrats on making it work.

  14. #14ljcpwalker2014-01-20 15:45

    Hi Wolf44, I just picked up one of these blades a good price because the other guy didn't want to mess with the wire harness issue. So now I'm digging into wiring it up. I have a New Holland with the auxiliary hydraulics but no electrical controls. It will cost $$$ to get the wiring harness from NH so I'm planning on building my own and placing a momentary rocker switche(s) in the blanks on my existing handle. I am not quite following your description of running a switch on the left joy stick to power the toggle on the right... can you explain (maybe it's a kubota thing?). Can you give a little more detail of how the solenoids work from your "experimenting" so maybe I won't spend quite so much time when i get to playing with it? If both solenoids have to be powered to work the tilt can they be run through one rocker? From what I see and understand the angle is powered by the main hydraulic controly only and the tilt is controlled by putting power to both solenoids while running the hydraulic control? Thanks for any input.

  15. #15Dmax75112014-02-13 13:28

    Wolf. What connector do you have I just bought a svl90 and it has a 14 pin connector. Can you send me a pic of yours

  16. #16wolf442014-02-13 17:16

    You have a cat Bade like mine ??? How do you control the auxiliary hydraulics ???

  17. #17Dmax75112014-02-13 19:23

    I have a bobcat dozer blade

  18. #18Bug43632014-03-10 17:16

    Hi wolf, I have the same machine and just got the same attachment and now I have the same problem... On my svl the 14 pin connector has 4 active pins, the cat attachment 8 pin connector has 6 active leads. Do you remember if you spliced 2of the 6 from the cat? In other words ground and 2 hot(2 wires total) to ground and hot on the svl? Got my fingers crossed you still participate here!! Thank you.

  19. #19Bug43632014-03-10 22:09

    Wait a minute-a better question may be "Is that picture you posted a before or after the fix?". Just noticed that yellow wire nut that appears to be joining the solenoids....

  20. #20Bug43632014-03-11 21:30

    Disregard, I got it. And for anyone else out there with a Cat dozer blade attachment-either model- the fix is simple for a kubota. On the machine side(male end), you will have 4 pins. B is ground, D is power from the right hand button on your left joystick. The cat attachment has an 8 pin deutch connecter, 6 pins used. Neither I nor anyone at the cat dealer I spoke to had any idea what they were all for, but it doesn't matter. Get yourself a 14 pin female(attachment side) connector. Chop that 8 pin off and you'll have six wires exposed-2 black, 1 red, 1 grey, 1 blue, 1 purple. Splice the 2 black together(ground or neutral or whatever), and in my case the grey and purple wires are power and get spliced together. I say in my case because on the solenoids they come out black and grey and black and blue-but the blue mysteriously transforms to purple at the plug-and no, it's not fading-a cat thing I suppose. Butt connect a small piece of 14 gauge wire to each of the splices and crimp or solder each to one of those little Deutch pins. The ground(or common) goes in the little hole marked B, and power to D. For those that can't see those tiny little letters, they are the two center pins-B on bottom, D on top. For what it's worth, my Kubota dealer wanted $350 for the new Deutch end(maybe they give you each side and some wire or something?) which I thought was stupid money. I paid 60 or 70 bucks delivered from Skidsteer Solutions, and as has been mentioned on here before, Rob tried to be very helpful. If I'm not supposed to say that, my apologies-I'm new to this forum stuff, and this "plug and play" nonsense was frustrating for me. I hope it helps someone else. BTW-the SVL75 is an awesome little machine-I've owned three of the other brands and they all had good points, but it seems like kubota waited and stole the good ideas-crept for the radio and a high flow option...

  21. #21Cal2019-10-18 17:53

    Are you guys still on here?? I have a svl75-2 and just purchase a cat 6 way for it. LOL. And have the same problem, no tilt. I bought the CAT 8 to 14 pin harness convereter and it plugs right in...but still no tilt. Any help?? lol..thanks for your time

  22. #22Nige2019-10-19 04:40

    Instead of cutting and splicing (as per the previous "solutions") and ending up with what looks like a dog's breakfast I suggest that you contact Skid Steer Genius - https://www.skidsteergenius.com/ They make custom harnesses for all types of attachments and can certainly point you in the right direction