Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer Cable blade help

Bulldog368 · 2018-02-09 20:37

I recently was given a (50s?) cable dozer after a family member passed away. The dozer hadn't been cranked in a few years but after some tinkering I was able to get it cranked. The issue is with the cable drum. I can let the blade up using the lever with no issues and everything seems to move freely. When I attempt to lower it nothing happens. I'm unable to get the blade to lower. I'm able to lower it by using a wrench and prying the brake release? off the drum. It appears the proper operation is when the lever handle is pulled it moves a roller against the brake release and then the release should spring return in the locked position when no pressure is applied to handle. (Sorry if my that's confusing just trying to make sense of the operation.) Any ideas on how to adjust the cable drum brake release? I attached pics of dozer if that will help. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Ronsii2018-02-09 21:07

    Here is a few pics of pages from one of my Cat Serviceman's reference books on the cat no.21-no.25 cable controls. They are pretty easy to adjust but when sitting for extended periods the brake and clutch surfaces will get rusty and can stick.... usually some good hard use clears em' up fast. I've never had a D6 so I am just guessing that your cable control is a 23... or similar, looks just like one of my D8's Oh... one other thing make sure you have greased all the pulleys and sheaves to make it easier for gravity to do it's job.

  2. #2Bulldog3682018-02-09 21:30

    Man I believe that's exactly what I needed! Thanks!!!

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-02-09 22:08

    WARNING! Make sure that the engine is shut off before you adjust a CCU unit, either front or rear mount. More than one arm and some fatalities have happened when an adjustment was attempted when the engine is running. Disengaging the clutch on a rear mount double drum CCU is not enough. Them old dry master clutches have had the pilot bushing seize up and turn the clutch when idling with the clutch disengaged. Its not worth the risk of bodily harm to not shut it off.

  4. #4Rusted2018-02-10 03:05

    D6B is an oil master clutch, but having said that I agree wholeheartedly not to adjust the CCU with the engine running.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2018-02-12 21:49

    I never seen where it stated D6B. A 1950s machine would be a 9U series which would be a dry clutch until 1956 when they went to the wet clutch. I could not expand the pictures to get a closer look. ​ Edit: I got the pictures to expand and seen the serial number now. That serial number would be a 1963 model wide gauge, a bit newer than stated in the text and would have a oil clutch as stated in the post above.

  6. #6D6 Bo2018-02-12 22:06

    O-I-H, it was 1953, when the 9U came out with the oil Clutch. D6 Bo

  7. #7old-iron-habit2018-02-13 09:35

    Brain fart. MY 9U was a 1956 and fingers must have used that year from habit. I should have got that right. My 2U series D8 is a 1953 and is just a few serial numbers shy of being a oil clutch.