Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer exhaust not connected to air intake system

Chris Karnaze ยท 2022-07-22 18:20

I have a very old Komatsu D155A-1 dozer that has apparently gone through many modifications over the years. After air enters the air filter, there is an auxiliary vent about 2-3 inches in diameter that is open and dead ends. I think it must have been connected to the exhaust system in the past, but there is nothing on the existing exhaust system that would support a connection. Every dozer I have looked at has a connection from the air intake to the exhaust. I assume that such a connection helps draw air into the air filter. Should I not be concerned that this connection is missing or should I make modifications and connect the vent to one of the exhaust pipes?

Replies3
  1. #1Bluox2022-07-22 18:54

    It might be a dirt ejector usually, goes to the muffler. I would not worry about it. Bob

  2. #2John C.2022-07-22 20:19

    It was to function like a precleaner. Air flow spun at high speed in the air cleaner shell and the large stuff got sucked out but the eductor affect from the tube in the muffler outlet stream. There were after market mufflers that came out and didn't have the connection. Back in those days many owners installed Turbo II precleaners on the inlets of the mufflers instead of paying the big money for the Komatsu muffler.

  3. #3nicky 68a2022-07-23 03:18

    It would be better on,but nothing to loose sleep over