So, today while replacing the undercarriage in my 98' JD 450G LGP I found a small leak coming from under the passenger side sprocket. Oh the joys of maintenance! All I have for this is an operators manual where can I find some instruction on replacing this seal, verbal or otherwise? Its not leaking very bad but, I have the tracks off already so It would be the time to fix it. Thanks
you are going to need more parts than just a seal.. bearings are probably shot which is why the seal went out, unless some other damage has occurred to it. At least you don't have to have a 100 ton press to take it apart. Look hard at every other part that turns in there. Gears don't last forever..
Now is the time to do it, finals can get pretty expensive if ignored. With that being said if its a slow leak and its not a production machine just top it off often and keep an eye on it. maybe do an oil analyses to give you an idea of the metal contents. Also feel around the back of the hub and see if there isnt wire,string cable ect…. wrapped up back there.
Thanks, we will be replacing the seal and bearing, should be fun....
final Be sure to run the set screw up on the clutch pack before removing bull gear and final, be careful, that final is very heavy.
I ended up buying the repair manual, they wanted $600 for the book!! I was able to D/L it for $90. If you or anyone else needs any sections I would be happy to send them off.
Good so-far, we are just now getting into the fun part though
money ahead. Nice!! Nice to have a shop to do it in. This is usually the point where I take it to the shop for a bench job.
Got it all apart to find a piece of rope had wrapped around it and cut the seal, causing the leak. The bearing was fine but could not be pulled with the puller or hydraulic jack! So the bearing was cut off to fit the new duo cone seal in.....expensive piece of rope!!
Its almost alway something to that effect, wire & rope most common. Most operators wont catch the slow leak and thats what get the bearing. Always look for wet spots on back of the sprockets and inside bottom pad on the morning walk around. As expensive as it was, its double that at the stealer.
Well, got it all put back together. New undercarriage and track chain, she is ready for 2013:beerchug
Doesn't sound to bad, good feeling to fix it, now you don't have to wonder how low it is.
Good that you reacted promptly - noticing a SMALL leak! Any leak at that area may indicate something big and costly.