Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dozer ID, value?

usmc1978 ยท 2013-03-20 21:16

Just bought some property with this Allis Chalmers dozer on it. Gas engine, 4 cylinder, apparently hasn't run in a long time. No gauges. Looks like some add-on ironwork? Anyone know what model this might be? Value? Thanks in advance.

Replies9
  1. #1Mangleweld2013-03-20 21:52

    If you can find someone that needs it for parts it is only worth it's weight in scrap.

  2. #2Delmer2013-03-20 22:02

    Dropped off at a good scrap yard: $200/ton, cut up $300/ton. I'm guessing 2-3 tons. Post it on the Allis collectors sites, I'm sure somebody will give you a little more than that and be happy to pick it up. You just might have to wait a little while and deal with people who say they want it but can't get it all together etc.

  3. #3usmc19782013-03-21 07:00

    Thanks!!

  4. #4ACcrazy2013-03-21 09:25

    Looks like it may be a model "M". I had one for a short time. Neat little tractors.

  5. #5oldirt2013-03-21 12:11

    that might be a K model.. looks a little bigger than an m to me, wish there was some closeups..

  6. #6Puffie402013-03-22 01:13

    That is a Allis model M crawler, made in the mid-30's. They use the same engine as the AC Model U wheel tractor, and electric start was standard. Looks like it has a homemade blade (None of the crawler manufacturers made OEM blades for their crawlers until the 1950's) and is missing its seat frame. The tractor put out 30 horsepower and is about 6400 pounds - I would tack on at least another 500-1000 for the blade. I would try to sell it - the model M is about the right weight for a collector to haul around, so those small crawlers are pretty popular.

  7. #7usmc19782013-03-22 08:05

    Sorry the photo isn't better, it was just a quick take. Going there tomorrow, so I might send y'all some close-ups. I know just about zero about dozers, but I figured the blade was an add-on. I hate to just scrap it. If I were going to try to find a buyer, where would you suggest I start?

  8. #8Puffie402013-03-22 13:50

    Yesterday's Tractors ( ytmag.com ) is one of the larger tractor enthusiast communities, and has a classified section you can advertise in. other than that, Craigslist, and other classifieds (Both paper and online) will at least get someone interested. When you take some better photos, take a few shots of the undercarriage (Sprocket and underside of the tracks). The condition of the UC will tell you how much it was run. Usually on these old crawlers, the UC is bagged, and would influence a buyers decision. Find the serial number and get the year of the crawler from a Allis site - the number was stamped on the transmission housing in rather large numbers, beside the gear shifter; take a wire brush with you. For reference, the model M my dad has is a 1937 with serial 6096. For value, I would start around scrap price. The big thing collectors will look at is the engine, and if the motor turns over (Or even runs!), that will influence the overall value.

  9. #9usmc19782013-03-22 21:17

    Thanks Puffie!