I have a 1977 d6c that wont move. I bought this dozer in Jan of last year and it has ran great. Parked it after using it in November, went to use it 2 days ago, started it let it idle for 15 minutes, blade and ripper lifted but when put PS transmission in gear nothing. Spent rest of day trying to get it going-took filter out under left foot-it and magnet full of crap- cleaned and still nothing -took small plate on belly pan off and removed that sceen-it was pretty clean but hardly any oil came out-is this normal? Don't know if I did next was right but added about 1 1/2 gal of hyd oil to the aera where the transmission linkech is. that worked It would move then, it was dark so thought problem was fixed. went out next morning and added more oil and now wont move at all! did I add to much oil? im I using wrong oil? It was about 25 degrees in morning. Is there other filter/screen I need to clean out? thanks been a vistor on this site for 2 years, learned so much!
I wonder if your trans pump is shot.. I have a d that I think has the same pump setup and it had same symptoms, and mag screen was full etc. Took pump off and wow it was worn terribly and even smelled hot, so replaced that along with just about every seal on the back of the power divider since apparently the machine had run hot long enough to harden them all. Also the cooler was plugged full of same crap so I replaced that and now cooling is not an issue, this cooler is a water jacket cooler which I don't believe you have on a C, but if you have an air cooler in front of the motor it is probably plugged (internally) too. Wish it had an inspection hole you could look in that pump, but it has to come off to find out. Where are you locacted? I am in the far sw corner of iowa.
Cant figure out why I got it to work after adding oil then nothing next day when colder out, also why that bottom sump didn't have much oil when pulling out that bottom screen
I have heard of that happening because of ice in the transmission valve. I assume it has been below freezing there, so perhaps if it warms up it will thaw. Was there pressure on the powershift (shifter) or did it move more freely than normal? Overfilling the transmission would not hurt anything although I believe you should be running 30W oil in it. We used to run them 2 gallons over full all the time so that they would'nt kick out of gear on a steep sidehill. I doubt the hydraulic fluid would cause any problem in that short amount of time. There are many people on here with a much better understanding of the inner workings than I so I am sure you will get a solution!
What kind of material did you have in the screen? You may have an air suction issue.
looked like rust particals-no big pieces . Is there any screens on suction lines that I need to clean out?
You should change the filter up beside the engine. Need to put a 600psi gauge into the top of trans filter housing 9/16"nf thread and check the pump pressure, look for 350 or so at high idle and hold 90 percent at low idle. Could be worn pump, leak in pressure or suction line. Later Bob
what is the serail# of your D6C
There should be a magnetic screen in between case and pump
I just read the first post again. So you have found the screen, and it had crap in it. you should also check for leakage at seals of screen, and suction hoses from case and screen to pump.
serial # -Its a 10k13638 I think exactly the last 100 made, I will check that stuff. When I took that screen out of belly sump should of a lot of oil came out?
Does the driveshaft spin with the tranny in gear ?
yes and it shifts like normal but doesn't move ,like I said got it to move back and forth but then nothing the next day, wondering if the cold has something to do with it
Tarp it up with a salamander heater and warm it up. Could be ice as was mentioned. Water is never an issue till it freezes and becomes a cork in the wrong place.
your not froze to the ground?
Well if the drive shaft keeps spinning when you pull it in any gear the trans. must not be priming up. Like someone said maybe ice l
Is there ENOUGH oil in the tranny?
Tracks not froze up?? Did you clean them after the last time?
Oh, I didn't even think of that as it is just a habit to clean them out. I would think that in reverse you might notice the slack coming out of the top. Good point Oilerman!
So you say allgears are engaging when you move shifter it floats through the detents in forward and reverse, and still will not move.Are you sure of this? If this the case then I would look at the steering cluches to see if they are getting pressurized and disengaging. You need to put gages on this to find pressures at what points. As faras the screens go there is one in torq housing and the magnetic in line from case and frame. If you pulled the line from the case you should have had about 24 gallons hit the ground. The torq housing would be about 1.5 to 2 gallons.
I have been bad and forgot a couple times during freeze up... Bad bad... I had tried to move to see if it would break loose but didnt want to break anything. One other thing was on our old 6c standard... there was water in the final drives and it froze up.
not freezing down and tracks clean-been so dry here no mud.
Darn, that would have been the easiest solution, except for the labor and propane required to clean it out. Where it has set since last fall through all the cold I still wonder about condensation freezing somewhere, but if you feel the detents when shifting it should mean the oil is circulating. Do you have anything else there to give it a bump and see if the finals are free? I guess you could loosen the final drain plugs and check that oil comes out there and that there is no ice in the bottom of the case. Did you leave the brakes set or released? And if you left them set, after releasing them do they feel normal? That is about all I can come up with, the more mechanically inclined will have to help beyond the simple things.
Did you check the oil level in the tranny? :Banghead
the more i'm thinking or hoping for that it is freezing up with water some where in there. since I did have it moving the day before and it was warmer then and a lot colder the next morning
the more i'm thinking or hoping for that it is freezing up with water some where in there. since I did have it moving the day before and it was warmer then and a lot colder the next morning, yes oil in the tranny-first thing I checked
Most likely a suction leak or worn pump that has more trouble picking up cold thick oil than warmer oil. If you can shift through all gears and driveshaft spins you have no pressure to lock up clutch's. gauge in the filter will tell you. Later Bob
I will put a gauge on that filter-thanks
I f you dont find any pressure check the relief valve , I cant tell you where it is on that one but I had one stick open on a cat loader and lose tranny pressure
I agree if it was runing the day before when warm then check for suction leak on the suction hose coming out of the transmisson.They get old and dried out so they tend to suck air and the pump doesn't want to prime.Drop the belly pan and look at your hoses. Might be able to tighten up the hose clamps also.It's been awhile ,but think the suction line just has hose clamps around the hose.This is where i would start since it was working the day before okay.It got colder thus hose sucked air. Probably just need old hoses changed or new clamps.Good luck!
should be two clamps on that suction hose. replacement of the hose means about 24 gallons of oil will come out. I don't see how it could suck air when running but not leak all the oil out when shut down?
On 6c and D the hose from the magnetic screen to the pump was the one that always sucked air. Would be the first thing I checked.
update; well after yesterdays overnite low of 12 it got to 50 today. Went out and started it a it moved! so must of had water freezing somewhere. Got it home and going change transmission oil and filter the test the transmission pressure. thanks everyone
great! I am glad it changed it's mind.
Good news D6C!