Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer power chip

windyhill ยท 2020-07-09 19:09

Anyone ever hop up there John Deere 450J? This looks promising, I figure it would be like turning my 450 into a 550 power wise, but what are others thoughts? Dumb idea, go for it? I don't want to create longevity issues but a little more swoop wouldn't be all bad. My dozer isn't used hard, and has about 4000 hours now and runs great, no issues. https://www.tsdieselperformance.com/john-deere-450j

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-07-09 20:05

    No issues, I wouldn't want to add something that could cause issues.

  2. #2BigWrench552020-07-09 20:25

    I looked over the website and couldn't find any data or anything speaking of the science and technology that they use. Seems like a $500 placebo.

  3. #3BigWrench552020-07-09 20:33

    It's possible that it's legit and will add some ponys to your engine. But it's likely those hot rod chips for your truck. It doesn't actually change the tune of the ecm but tricks the ecm to thinking something is happening when it's not and vise versa. But with how much engines and ecm's cost I wouldn't risk it.

  4. #4windyhill2020-07-09 20:39

    I'm not sure but I believe the 550 is the same motor just turned up a bit, possibly a diff. turbo? Didn't seam out of the realm of possibility. In the truck world some of the tune companies really know what they are doing and make great products, some are total crap and can screw up your truck..

  5. #5catman132020-07-10 00:29

    how much spare cash do you have lying around, it may work or it may break something

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-07-10 11:05

    I think the drive line life may suffer, especially if the machine is shifted from forward to reverse without decelerating.

  7. #7John C.2020-07-13 10:10

    If a dozer will spin the tracks in second gear, why would you think adding more horsepower is cost effective?

  8. #8windyhill2020-07-14 12:02

    Well I own a 450J and they make a 550 and 650.... they are all the same tractor with more HP and a bit more weight being the diff. Obviously it chassis can handle what a 650 can handle I didn't really think adding a little more power to a 450 would be that big of a deal. A little more power isn't usually a downside in my opinion, leaving well enough alone is always an option but I've had a problem with that since I was a kid, I like seeing how things work and often after that why, and if They can be made to work better... Thanks all for the input, it's always easier (and often cheaper!) to ask questions and research when ever looking into anything!

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-07-14 12:06

    If the gears, clutches and everything else in the drive line can take the added stain over the long term it would probably be OK. I would never take the chance given the price of replacement parts.

  10. #10John C.2020-07-14 12:21

    I don't think the drive train would be a problem in the short term. What I'm thinking of is that the weight of the machine is matched to the amount of power that can be applied to the motive force on the ground. Increased production is not gained by the ability to spin tracks. Then, add the risk of shortened power train life and the possibility of sudden failure of stressed components.