Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer search

jelfert ยท 2015-11-12 14:30

I'm currently looking at the following dozers: Case 850d Case 850g John Deere 650g Cat d5c series 2 They are all about same hp and weight range. Based on your experience, which are the most reliable and easiest to repair? Specifically the transmissions/final drives/ aew any of Jose dozers controlled by ECU? Simpler is better for me.

Replies20
  1. #1stumpjumper832015-11-12 18:13

    deere's 650g are a heck of a unit, maybe the class of the field as far as price, reliability, and repair costs go.

  2. #2repowerguy2015-11-12 19:14

    The 850D is a pretty basic no ecm machine. They are nimble to run once you pull all your hair out and learn to run the steering sticks between your legs. Seriously, it's a neat design but can be difficult to get good at it. I'm sure the Case guys will chime in soon

  3. #3clintm2015-11-12 21:15

    I've 850G's since they first came out they have the two speed track levers on the left side and F/N/R. I had a 650G also years ago I like the case better it's hard to beat the 4clyd cummings for parts and availability. they well balanced also and excellent slope tractor. JD is extremely high on their parts.

  4. #4RonG2015-11-13 01:32

    I didn't think I would ever hear that,you must have had a bad 650.........how could anyone like a Case dozer better than a John Deere?Ron G

  5. #5guest2015-11-13 07:25

    I have a Case 850G with about 8000 hrs it's a ranch machine and I am only operator. It has controls on side with 6cyl cummings engine. Other than working on 3rd undercarriage only replaced 2 alternators, water pump, some hyd hoses, rebuilt hyd control and some hyd cylinders on a 20 yr old machine (service records from day one). It's had impeccable maintenance and has been pretty trouble free no electrictronics. Just my experience with this machine, others maybe different.

  6. #6jelfert2015-11-13 07:50

    Thanks guys. Any comments on the cat d5c?

  7. #7moriboy2015-11-13 09:09

    Earlier in the year, I was looking for the same class of machine for use on my ranch. I ended up buying a late model 650G. It's just an awesome little dozer. I did look at a few Case and Komatsu machines but felt better about parts support with the JD in my neck of the woods. I changed every fluid and filter when I first got it, and did some other general maintenance. It's a really easy machine to work on. The engines in those are used in many applications and there will be parts available for a very long time. And no, it does not have any electronic engine or transmission controls.

  8. #8jelfert2015-11-13 10:57

    That's a good point. I have several John Deere ag dealerships nearby and once cat dealership.

  9. #9moriboy2015-11-13 11:35

    I have an ag dealer close, and they really aren't supposed to deal with the construction machinery parts but they just turn a blind eye and have gotten me everything I've needed.

  10. #10jelfert2015-11-14 07:38

    Where are the cat d5c comments? Surely someone out there has run them!

  11. #11jelfert2015-12-16 06:53

    k!

  12. #12jelfert2015-12-16 06:55

    Well I finally purchased a dozer. Found a guy who rebuilds used dozers for sale. He has cats d3-d5, john Deere 450-650 and case 450 - 1150. All pre-computer and pre- hydrostatic drive models. He took me around his shop and showed me how he tears down the dozers and goes through everything before he sells them. Engine rebuilds, new undercarriage or whatever it needs, it gets before it leaves. I tested a couple of D5c and Case 850s. I ended up with an 850g Long track with LGP pads that he just got in. he had not gone through it yet when I showed up. It started up and ran fine with no smoke and operated well. Undercarriage is almost brand new. No leaks other than the turbo which I pointed out to him. We settled on a price and he said he would replace the turbo and oil pressure gauge and put on a new cutting edge. A week later he called to tell me he turbo was installed but now the engine smokes a lot. They did a piston compression check and the compression was low on all cylinders. The new turbo exposed the worn rings and sleeves.So he rebuilt the engine (5.9 cummins) including a new set of injectors and rebuilt head. All of this work was done and the agreed sell price never changed. Great customer service and he stands behind his work. Does anyone know where I can get an operators or service manual?

  13. #13RonG2015-12-16 09:39

    It is a little late now and I did not see your last post in time but the D5 has poor visibility off of the rear quarters because of the high drives and for the size machine it is and the work it would be doing it is a disadvantage not to be able to see close to the machine as you will be grading close to structures doing road work etc but other than that they are a great machine.I don't think that I would have bought a Case however.Ron G

  14. #14jelfert2015-12-16 23:40

    he had a couple of D5c (not high drive) there and I drove them as well. I like the fact that the case can push with both tracks while turning. Cat can not. Also, I can get parts/filters anywhere for the 5.9 cummins and it is cheaper to maintain. There is not a better engine than the 5.9 12 valve cummins. The case will have a lot less brake wear since you dont really ever have to use the turning brakes. Just use the separate track speed levers.

  15. #15Shimmy12015-12-17 00:21

    To a point. Maneuvering around obstacles or working next to things you need to steer with the pedals. Using the track speed levers is like pulling a steering clutch lever almost to the brake. When you get the feel for the pedals, you can make the tractor act almost like it has diff steer. The pedals actually release the clutch for the first part of the travel; they don't engage the brake until you push them nearly all the way down.

  16. #16JS3002016-01-23 11:08

    Did the dozer come from the guys at Rocking W in Paris? They seem to be really good folks.

  17. #17Willie B2016-01-23 15:11

    In VT at least, John Deere closed all the privately owned commercial dealers. If it's yellow you have a long drive for even the simplest of parts, or service. I can drive 120 miles or 180 miles round trip. Other people are farther from a dealer.

  18. #18jelfert2016-01-23 21:06

    Js300, yea it was rocking w where I bought the dozer. Wes and his son Jess are good honest people.

  19. #19Hogzilla2016-01-24 12:59

    I am currently in search of a small dozer. 450 to 650. Leaning toward John Deere but Case is in the mix as well. I see you bought your dozer out of Paris Texas. I have seen ads for them and I was iffy about these kind of places. Thinking all they did was power wash, paint and put new stickers on them. It is good to hear you say that about them. I will definitely take a closer look at them. I am new to the dozer thing and I want something that is dependable, and has parts and service close by. I was looking at a Komatsu D31E 20 and I was afraid if it broke, I would be in trouble. I think with the electronic gadgets and other modern things may be a source of trouble. I think I need to keep it simple. Thanks for your post about the guys in paris

  20. #20JS3002016-01-25 11:25

    I live close to Paris and have looked at dozers they have for sale a coiple times. I was a little leary at first but the second time I went out there the older gentleman showed me around and told me about what they were doing with the repairs. He showed me alot of things I didn't know to look for and a lot of things the salesman type wouldn't dare tell you. I would buy from them in a minute if they had what I was looking for.