Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pulling scrapers with a 6H, 6R

aog_allen ยท 2015-11-12 10:40

We have a D6H and were always told that you need to back up every so often to keep the plates of the torque converter lubricated and for that the machines don't make good ripping tractors, farm tractors or scraper tractors. Is there any truth to this? I have heard people ruining their transmissions by disking with them, but I see others using similar diff steer machines to rip and pull scrapers, is there anything you need to change from a normal dozing machine? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-11-12 13:43

    I think the torque converter only turns one way , so backing up shouldn't change this. The only problem I see is if they are over loading the transmission by running to high of gear causing heating which will kill the transmission. Most people here won't use a 6 size to pull a scraper or even push one , they tell me its too lite. I think if the scraper is sized according it would be a nice set up.

  2. #2Nige2015-11-12 13:49

    Old wives tale. The converter only turns one way it doesn't matter whether you're in forward or reverse. I guess it depends what size of scraper you're pulling whether or not it's too big for your tractor and if it is the transmission will probably be the first component to suffer.

  3. #3aog_allen2015-11-12 15:23

    We were going to pull fp latourneau scrapers. Dad used to pull them with D8 14a, and the 6h is the same hp and weight. We push the fp's with the 6 when we're running, we currently pull them with challenger 835's, but want to use a dozer tractor when were in the hills and rocks.

  4. #4Shimmy12015-11-13 19:12

    I feel that comparing a 6H to a 8 14a would be like comparing a Super Duty with 400 hp to a 400 hp Cummins Big Cam 4. Kind of the same, but very different.