I am debating on buying a dozer but dont think it will get used enough to justify it. I will be using this machine to do dozing around buildings up to 1-2 acres per job (that would be the most). Will a large track loader do this job without trouble? Will it tear it up? Am i wasting too much effort and time trying to do the job with a skid? What machine would be recommended if so. As someone told me in another thread the Tak/Gehl machines have there own frames designed just for track machines, they arent modified wheeled machines. So that would be good i think
the only problem with doing grading with a skid steer is that the length of the tracks are much shorter compared to a dozer, so its harder to level ground. i would suggest a dozer for the job. i think you will find that you can do the work alot faster with a dozer. thanks, KENT BAUGH WWW.KTBAUGH.COM
I have a tak TL150 that does a great job grading adn cutting into the earth. It will push with dirt coming over the top of the bucket. If the biggest sites are 1-2 acres, go with a CTL. At least you can load trucks and do more than jus push and grade
I like the tak machines. Will it push say, through the middle of a tandem load of dirt thats just been dumped? Im trying to get a visual of what it will do. Any trouble grading level without digging in?
It will push through, not like a D5, but won't stall out like a cat or other brands. Its still not a dozer but its close enough to make it worth while for what you mentioned. heres a link to a youtube video. Not a 10 wheeler but gives some pushing demonstration YouTube - takeuchi TL150 Skid Steer
I use my skid as a dozer sometimes. I would never argue that the skid is more productive that a dozer but the skid gets the job done. The Tak 150 probably would be a good way to go.
i dont see a small trackloader doing the job like a small dozer, my d3c is 7.7tons and you need that weight to get traction. dont think it maters if its a d10 or a trackloader you can only push or cut if you have traction. dont get me wrong i like the speed of skid steers but if your triming 1 to 2 acres the dozer would be my bet.
A dozer will hands down be better had dozing. But if its 1-2 acres, thats small, if you don't need a dozer for anything else than a skid would be a more productice purchase. A d3 wieghs 7.7 tons about 15,000lbs. My tak wieghs 11,400 with the 4-in-1 bucket. Its 80 inches wide. the d3 is what 96" ( just a guess) it wieghs more but is pushing more area at a time. Not too far off in comparison. I also have a d3, d5, d6,and d8. If its a small enough job i'll send one of our track skids because its more versatile and you don't need a lowbed to move it.
I will have to try out the skid loader idea. I like that the best, especially since we are going to be replacing one of our wheel machines soon. I am thinking i will try to rent a Tak to try out and see what it will do. I was also looking at the cat machines a little bit but they dont seem like the loader arms are as strong. Might be my imagination. Plus they are more expensive.. Anybody run a Case track machine. I think they are also a little flimsy in the loader area.
Try the Tak. You'll love the cab room and power. The controls are more resonsive than Cats which take some getting used to. I'm trying to find a dozer blade to demo on my Ctl60. That would be the best of both worlds for me.
The sensitivity of CATs controls can be adjusted.
What would be wrong with using a loader? I loader is extremely versatile you can do a whole heck of a lot with a loader. I find dozers a bad investment. You can only use it during construction season, and the maintnance on them a fairly expensive, and then you need to lowboy it everywhere. If you had a loader you can drive to every location.
Loaders can do alot, but if the guy is debating on buying a dozer or a ctl, I'm guessing he needs to do some fine grading. A loader isn't going to fine grade like a dozer or ctl. Dozers aren't a bad investment if you have a reason do own them. We use our dozers all year round unless the ground is completely frozen.
Def rent a tak 150. I think you will be very impressed. It is the only skid steer i have ever ran but it impresses me. The loader arms are very stout and man it will push. For the job you describe if it was my decision to make a dozer would not be an option. A skid steer is just so versatile and you have to do alot of grading to justify buying a dozer. I think you have prob just had power and traction shortages with your current machines but i feel confident you will find that there is plenty of both with the tl150. Good Luck
How much the dozer blade is costing these days, I really wante to get one before, but I think I might find a rental one to try itbefore spending the $$
I would rent both machines and see whice you like best, but also dealer support is huge. No sense buying anything if you cant get parts or service.
What does everyone think of a Cat 287B. I have the chance to pick up one for a decent price. Though finding a Tak cheap around here or anywhere for that matter thats not destroyed! Will it push as hard as the Tak 150? Any plus and minus?
Good machine! Will not push like a tl150. I say this as an owner of both machines
I take it the tl150 pushes harder than the rest? Is there a big difference?
Personally, I think the tak pushes way better than the cat. We demoed the new cat 299c which pushed better than the 287c but it still stalled out easily and just doesn't hang with the tak. The cat is a much smoother ride though.
Tak tracks are about half the price too!
definetly check out the Tak
bonanno...do you also own have experience w/ the TL250? If so, other than size, major differences than the TL150? Thanks.
I don't have any seat time in a tl250. As far as I know, the machines are the same as before but with a 2 instead of a 1 at the beginning. They switched from a yanmar to a kubota. the performance numbers are identical. the tl250 engine has + 1hp than the tl150
I forgot all about this post! I ended up buying a dozer. I found one locally for a pretty cheap price. Bought an international/ dresser td-8. I am pretty happy with it so far. Let me just say that finish grading is NOT as easy as i imagined!!!! The power shift transmission is a little tricky to get the hang of. The controls are alot stiffer than an excavator or skid steer so i figured there is no real feathering you just have to get rough with it. I spent about a day tearing up more than i actually helped, had to go get something to drink more than once i was so furious! I am quite supprised how much it will push for how small it is, still cant really get the hang of it though. I dont know about that old school set up, are the new dozers easier to run??? Anyway the job is done now so i guess it will probably be a while before i get to try my hand again..... unless i can find someone crazy enough to let me tear up their property!!!
I really haven't had any seat time in any older dozers. we have 2 wide track Cat D6 doazers. One is a 2004 and the other is brand spanking new. The new one is definitely more responsive compared to the 04 but it is new. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. good luck with it
hi a hystat dozer of sum sort is a little more easy to control i find. my d3c is real easy to teach new guys to run to a ok standard . just lay the blade back to carry and tell them to go slow rather than fast. the controls are very simlar to our cat skidsteer and diggers so it all makes senes to them . good luck with it.