Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dr. EX needs repair

excavator ยท 2013-11-05 17:10

I went to use my Dr. EX the other day and it will not communicate with the machine. It powers up and goes through all the steps until it needs to communicate with the machine. I've tried it on more than one machine to make sure and I've replaced the cord with a new one I had. So, does anyone know who and where I could send this to for repair. The book refers to it as the "NEW Dr EX", I bought it new probably 10-12? years ago and had it updated to the Zaxis dash 1 series a bit later. I also have a Dr ZX on Palm but really prefer using the Dr EX, it's much easier and quicker to use. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1GregD12013-11-05 21:06

    I thought they quit fixing those when the Palm pilot set up came out.

  2. #2ANDREW C2013-11-05 23:01

    What machine are you trying to connect to, dr ex (and the palm pilot dr zx) has been obsolete for a few years now and has been replaced with mpdr. Sometimes that happens with mpdr too and you have to change to the six pin or four pin and it will work or try connecting a couple times. Can you make sure that the comm port is correct or if you are using a serial adapter that the drivers are up to date.

  3. #3excavator2013-11-06 14:58

    I've tried it on Dash 2,3 & 5 plus Zaxis Dash 1 all with the same results. Need to find an electronics shop or person who can check it out.

  4. #4ANDREW C2013-11-06 15:37

    Batteries are probably dead inside, can you use a power adapter to provide power to the unit or change the lithium batteries? If you have a copy of the manual it is pages 37/38. I remember reading if the cards lost power it could wipe the cards. I believe otc can still fix them but im not sure how that works if you are not a dealer