Hello to all, What is the function of the shuttle drain plug located directely under the torque convertor on my case 580b? Very little fluid comes out when changing fluid. I am aware there's two drain plugs. Is the forward plug to drain torque converter? Also, I'm getting oil on my brake pads would this be the seal between the transmission and the brake pads? Where is a good place to order this seal? Thankyou in advance, Todd
I own a Deere not a Case but the plug under the torque converter on my machine is just a bell housing plug. By removing that plug and rotating the torque converter at the right spot I can remove the torque converter oil plug. It takes about 1.5 hrs to drain mine through the 1/8" pipe plug. If all seals are good there should not be any oil in the bell housing.
Deon, Thankyou for the reply. Next time I check the oil I'll look to see if there is a drain plug in the torque convertor. I've changed the oil twice to flush the system out. Each time only a few ounces of oil comes from that drain plug. Thanks again, Todd
Clark, The 2 drain plugs on the 580CK or BCK torque tube(converter drive), drain 2 separate parts of the shuttle compartment. The forward part you are referring to collects oil leakage from the torque converter, it's a 'wet flywheel housing'. Oil in this forward compartment is thrown up into a trough where it drains back into the rear section. I'm just guessing that there is usually about a liter in this compartment. There is no converter drain on these models, that I have ever seen. Deon is quite right about the converter drain plug on later C, D, E, and early K models; I'm not sure about the later K's and SK's. I think shuttle oil changes on these Case models is probably the most neglected maintenance item, and I'm sure some don't even bother to search for that converter drain plug as Deon noted, and drain the converter. There has been recent discussion on the brake seal, you refer to, and related problems, and Case prices are quite reasonable for it. Phil
Phil, Thankyou again! I had a hunch you would know. Since I purchased this machine I've changed the shuttle fluid twice. Just trying to get water and nasty oil out. Upon this last change, I've noticed a huge difference in how the forward and reverse shifts. I'm going to run it for awhile and change again.forward and neutral transmission oil pressure is great (high side of green) reverse is at least registering now but still in the low side of red. Thanks again, Todd