Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drain Tile in a calving lot

jaclo · 2019-05-09 19:50

Im in the Midwest in an area that took a pretty good beating from the cyclone bomb whatever storm. Compounding the issue is a spring that’s a tad on the wet side. One of my customers is at his wits end with the mud, looking for a solution. Think of an area a little smaller than a football field, with static water on a normal year being anywhere from 2’-5’ deep, erring on the shallower side most years. I’m wondering how effective of a solution this would be. I’ve never put any in. It’s an easy enough concept but I’m worried that the static water table is just too high to do any real good, any tile guys around that could provide some feedback? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1AzIron2019-05-09 22:15

    I've never done field tile but I have done French drains in a damp area and day lighted the pipe in a pit so the water had a place to go

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-05-10 07:06

    Contact the local USDA office for guidance. I think they are heavily involved with farm drainage. At least they are where I live in Illinois. Are there any open drainage ditches that a discharge could be run to ? Is there a drainage district commissioner that could be available to help ?

  3. #3colson042019-05-10 08:12

    Local NRCS office should be able to help you. Like @Tinkerer said, their local extension office will probably have an approved method designed for your area, or, they will design drainage for you. Also, if there is any grant money available for such a project, they can help you apply for it.

  4. #4Trashman2019-05-10 08:38

    I have never put in drain tile, but I have installed many French drains under streets and even under landfills. It all depends on how porous the soil, and if you have somewhere to drain the water. If you have to pump it; it will get expensive.

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-05-10 12:27

    French drains work well if the ground conditions permit. Jaclo has a problem with a static level to deal with, that being, the level is 2 to 5 feet below the surface. There has been a tremendous amount of tiling in my area due to the financial incentives that colson mentioned.

  6. #6Jeckyl19202019-05-11 12:34

    So, from what I just researched, drain tile is basically French drain without the trenching to add gravel. That being said, I think he has a plan to get the water out. I would say tile drain would be the cheaper option to see if the system will work. If it works, but fails in a few years or so, then you can go with a heavier system like French drains. That being said, a field with grass/crops on it, tile is likely fine. A cattle ranch with dirt and mud, likely need a heavier sediment system like French drains. My 2 cents.