Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser 200 ???is it worth it?

RWGARLAND ยท 2014-03-12 21:21

All, I need some advice. I found a dresser 200 for sale for about $10000.00. The owner said a new motor was put in last year and it only has 500 hours on it. total hours on the machine is 4900? I played around with it and it seemed to sound good and drive good. No problems with the hydraulics? Still the question is it a good deal? how hard are parts? how expensive are parts? and what problems with with this model. if you have any feed back that would be great. Please response or email me. [email protected]

Replies2
  1. #1traxcavator2014-03-13 23:01

    I operated a few 200's in the mid to late 90's. The 200 was one of best operating loaders I have ever been on but there were some reliability issues. One of the machines was used by another contractor that I know, he bought it new around 1989 and keep it until the late 90s, I think it had around 10,000 hrs on it. He had the most success with it only blowing the occasional hydraulic line and I think he did rebuild the motor once. The other units all had issues with the hydro-static drive and hydraulic valves and I know there were issues with finding parts and finding anyone who knew how to diagnosis the problems. I was told that Dresser only made about 500 200's from 89-92. If the machine is in top condition and you are not using it on a daily basis it may be worth $10,000 but I would be sure to thoroughly check it out. There is a salvage yard in Goldston, NC called Construction Equipment Parts, they had several that were being parted out a few years ago so that may be a parts source. Would love to see pictures or video of it running if you get it.

  2. #2denver m farms2014-03-16 21:06

    Ok, now that I see it's only 10k I would say it's a good deal. Can't buy a decent 943 or 53 for that. And you certainly don't want a old front engine hydro John Deere. I know of a few of them around here and the people that own them really like them.