Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser 412b

Buck613 ยท 2015-05-14 12:54

Hello to all. New member here in Statesboro, Georgia. I am a Cat man all the way. 613s are my specialty, but I have a chance to buy a 1979 Dresser 412b. I have never operated one. Any advice or suggestions?

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2015-05-14 13:24

    RUN!... run fast and far away. If you operate one of those you need a follow rig to pick up the parts and two mechanics to keep it going. Stick with the 613's, you won't be sorry.

  2. #2clansing12015-05-14 21:54

    The 412B was a better designed machine then the John Deere and CAT equivalent in my opinion. You want to find a 1987 or new Dresser model with the 505 Cummins as opposed to the 1986 and older International with the 466 International engine. Stay away from the ex-Military machines and make sure it has a paddle wheel.

  3. #3Buck6132015-05-15 08:03

    Thank you for your advice. I will note both replies. The asking price for the 412b jumped out at me, so I gave it a thought. The seller is asking $8, 900. Will look on probably.

  4. #4R.D.G0132015-05-19 04:39

    Nothing wrong with a 412, outfit I worked with in NZ back in the 70s 80s had them, heaps better visibility to the cutting edge as u sit in the middle, not out to one side like cat or jd. Only downside would be parts back up these days and they r more inclined to nose dive than a 613 as they have a longer nose. If I had a choice between a 613/412 to do final trimming I would take the 412 because of visibility.

  5. #5Buck6132015-05-19 06:19

    Thank you R.D. GO13. I know everyone has their own opinion and there are lemons in everything. What do you think about the 466 engine?

  6. #6R.D.G0132015-05-21 05:15

    We did have a few problems with the 466 in the TD 15Cs in the early days but IH stood by them and they came good on parts and stuff. The rotary fuel pump was another issue at times but that could have been the local fuel pump shop. There was a later model engine that came out with an inline pump, DT 466B or sometimes called a DT 467 that I think was a whole lot better, have seen posts on here where they seem to have good runs with the 466 as it was in a lot of IH gear including wheel tractors. Parts would be the biggest drawback on a 412 unfortunately.

  7. #7Buck6132015-05-21 05:49

    Thank you R.D.G013.