Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser 540 wheel loader

Mashford · 2024-11-19 19:44

Anybody have any info on these units? Picked one up today. 1990 dresser 540 with an 8.3L turbo international engine. I would like to find a service manual. I can hear air hissing, there is a brake line gone. I’d like to fix that to get the brakes back. I also need a couple batteries for it. Anyone have any time behind the wheel on one of these?

Replies41
  1. #1FWD2024-11-20 18:24

    I have never been close to a 540. The engine is a n 8.3 Cummins. I have had 530 loaders and still have one. FWD

  2. #2Mashford2024-11-20 18:42

    From what I’ve read I believe the motor is an international. But I need to confirm that. It starts up nice. Runs well. How do you like your 530? Are they much different then a 540?

  3. #3FWD2024-11-21 21:50

    I am not at all familiar with a 540, have only seen pictures. It doesn't appear to be similar at all to the 530. I like my 530. It is an 1985 model with a 466 International engine. In 1987 the 530's engine was changed to the 8.3 Cummins engine. Just looked at a 1986 Dresser product guide and it shows a 540 that looks similar to a 530. It shows a 466 International engine in it. I have seen other pictures of a 540 and they don't look at all like a 530. Around 87 was when IH quit making engines and Dresser went to Cummins engines. FWD

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-11-22 03:15

    A Cummins 8.3 is a great engine! Big brother to the 5.9.

  5. #5Mashford2024-11-22 05:05

    I wouldn’t care which engine it has. The key has the international symbol on it. I need to wipe of some spots and see it I can find the data plates on this thing.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-11-22 18:37

    The loader is an IH/Dresser. What engine a machine has makes a big difference as there are some that are best to avoid. I recall there was a V8 International that had a lot of problems. A Cummins 8.3 on the other hand is a very desirable engine. I have one in my grader that starts instantly and runs like a top.

  7. #7Mashford2024-11-22 18:57

    This is what I can come up with. Would this be an international engine or Cummins?

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-11-22 19:26

    If it has a D505T it is an IH engine but like FWD posted some 540's used a DT466 IH engine. The 466 is a great engine but don't know much about the D505. Really need to find the tag on the engine to be sure. The loader is a very good machine regardless. If there were issues with the D505 I'm sure there would be a lot of info on the internet talking about it. I don't know if parts are readily available or not. Would have to check with a dealer or engine rebuild shop.

  9. #9Mashford2024-11-22 19:37

    Great. Thank you for the insight.

  10. #10FWD2024-11-23 21:10

    How many litres are 505 cubic inches? I think 8.3 would be very close. FWD

  11. #11FWD2024-11-23 21:20

    Dresser used Cummins engines after IH Farm merged with Case. I had a 520 Dresser loader with an engine that the tag said was a Dresser engine but was a Cummins 359 or 5.9 litre. I still have a 1998 Dresser TD9-H dozer with an engine that the tag says is a Konatsu-Dresser engine which is a 239 or 3.9 litre Cummins engine. Cummins has any parts for these engines and on the tags they have a CPL number that Cummins goes by. FWD

  12. #12Welder Dave2024-11-24 02:52

    It is 8.3 litres and appears to be an IH/Dresser engine. Case had a partnership with Cummins where there were small differences. I remember a guy I knows snotty son insisting their 1845C had a strictly Case engine. Not so much.

  13. #13Willie B2024-11-24 09:05

    I have a 1988 or 1989 TD7G Dresser dozer. It has a Cummins 3.9 litre so common in many machines including Case & Dresser. Same engine with & without turbo was used in many machines. I believe it was around this date they changed from International engines. I have friends own two TD7E International dozers, they have 3.9 litre International engines. It appears little else is different.

  14. #1456wrench2024-11-24 16:26

    The engine agreement between Cummins and Case was known as the CDC( consolidated diesel company?) Basically the same engines but no cpl number. Cummins will sell you the parts but will not warranty them if they are going into a cdc block- maybe thats changed now. The Cummins parts system will not recognize the CDC esn(engine serial number). And if i remember correctly if you take the Case part number and add a 3 in front, it will become a Cummins part number. If someone knows different, feel free to correct me. I recently changed the rear crank seal in my 580k and it was cheaper through Cummins

  15. #15Mashford2024-11-24 16:41

    Took a couple pics today. What is this engine? Also does anyone know where the data plates would be?

  16. #16FWD2024-11-24 17:46

    that is a 466 IH engine.

  17. #17Mashford2024-11-24 17:53

    Are these known to be good engines. I do not believe it has glow plugs?

  18. #18FWD2024-11-24 18:16

    No glow plugs. Very good engines. There are model numbers and serial numbers stamped on the left side of the block sbove the oil gill port. What little I can see of the injection pump makes me believe it is an Ambac pump, the latest 466 had am in line pump, meaning the injector lines out of the pump are in a row. The Ambac injector line come out in a circle. IF the stamping first number is 466, this is the first series, if it says 467 it would be a 466B or second series, if 468 it would be a 466C or third series. All are 466 cubic inch engines. These were popular in trucks too FWD

  19. #19Mashford2024-11-24 18:29

    Excellent. Thank you for the insight. I will have to find those numbers. I just got the machine and it is greasy. I ll have to clean up some spots to see the numbers. What’s the best way to start these when it’s cold if you can’t plug it in. (No electrical at my property where I keep it). Shot of starter fluid in the air filter?

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-11-24 21:08

    I wonder how much difference a D505 would have from a 466? Thinking they could look similar both being IH engines. A data tag or numbers off the block would confirm if it is a 466 which is a very good engine.

  21. #2156wrench2024-11-25 16:09

    Biggest problem with the dt466 was liner leaking and cavitation if the cooling system is not properly maintained

  22. #22FWD2024-11-25 18:14

    a little starting fluid is fine. I had a TD15-C crawler, used it a lot in the winter. It had a 466 engine. DWF

  23. #23FWD2024-11-25 18:20

    There never was a 505 IH engine. That engine is an 8.3 Cummins that Dresser put in their equipment after IH no longer made engines. The 8.3 was used in 530 loaders starting in 87, so I would think all Dresser machines that used the 8.3 or D505 would have been the same time frame. FWD

  24. #24Welder Dave2024-11-25 22:45

    It's confusing when even the brochure lists it as an IH D505T. Must have had a deal with Cummins they could call it an IH. The TD15E lists a D505T engine too.

  25. #25Mashford2024-11-26 05:19

    My thoughts exactly.

  26. #26Willie B2024-11-26 07:36

    Case 580K backhoe, & Dresser TD7G dozer have identical engines. Case states in their specifications that it is a Case built engine. All parts are cummins.

  27. #27Welder Dave2024-11-26 16:44

    They must have paid Cummins a lot of money in order for Cummins to let them call the engines Case. They did sell thousands of them though. I think it only applied to the 5.9L and 8.3L engines. I recall the larger tractors with engines like an M11 were listed as Cummins engines but I could be mistaken.

  28. #28Willie B2024-11-27 07:11

    Those I'm familiar with were the 3.9 litre four cylinder. They used them in several sizes of dozers & backhoes. Also a guy in CA offered a kit to retrofit the early Dodge Power Wagons. Engines with different injectors & turbo were rated everything from 70 to 140 horsepower. To my way of thinking the swap from a 230 flat head Chrysler to Cummins 3.9 was a lot of work & expense for a very minor gain. A newly rebuilt 230 gains a bit of displacement in the rebore & it happily cruises at 3600 RPM. The Cummins loses torque sharply at speeds over 2500 RPM. To take any advantage of power gained, you have to change gear ratios. Standard is 5.89, with no overdrive. A friend did major restomod on a 1953 Power Wagon for a customer. It got a 5.9 6 cylinder Cummins, with a mated overdrive automatic, and modern axles. Had to move the firewall build a removable dog house to fit the longer 6 cylinder. Looks great, & drives like a new truck. To my way of thinking, it isn't a Power Wagon any longer.

  29. #29Welder Dave2024-11-27 16:33

    A more power wagon.

  30. #30Mashford2024-12-04 09:19
  31. #31Mashford2024-12-04 09:23

    Turns out this is a 1986/87 dresser 540 with the DT466c engine in it. It is the turbo model. I confirmed this with the numbers on the block. Anyone have any info on the 3 speed transmission in it?

  32. #32Mashford2024-12-04 09:24

    Transmission tag

  33. #33FWD2024-12-04 10:44

    That's the part # for the transmission. Rockford made a lot of torque converters and transmissions for IH. FWD

  34. #34Mashford2024-12-04 11:45

    This transmission has about a 2-3" round sight glass on it. Just trying to look it up online. Very hard to find any info on it. Anything you know to point me in the right direction?

  35. #35FWD2024-12-04 13:29

    The 530 has a sight glass like that too. When the loader is not running, the glass needs to be completely covered with oil. Once the loader is running and the oil is at operating temperature, oil should be in the middle area of the glass. FWD

  36. #36Mashford2024-12-04 13:30

    Do you know what fluid they take?

  37. #37FWD2024-12-04 16:18

    Originally they used 10W engine oil, but now days they say that there is too much zinc in the oil you get now. So now we use a good quality tractor hydraulic fluid 10W oil. FWD

  38. #38Willie B2024-12-04 20:48

    There are many choices in hydraulic oil, lots of levels of quality. I've been a believer in Hy Tran, first offered by International Harvester dealers, now Case dealers. I've read in depth articals about the additives in it. I am convinced it is worth the cost difference. Engine oil, I believe you will throw away before it wears out. The risk with engine oil is it gets contaminated. The best oil is not different from mid grade in the drain pan. I use 15W-40 in most diesel engines.

  39. #39Mashford2024-12-05 06:29

    The engine oil has been in the machine since december of 2020. I think im going with rotella t5 or t6. Never had an issue with that in any diesel.

  40. #40Willie B2024-12-05 07:36

    When will you use it most? We use a lot of 10W-30 Rotella diesel oil in air cooled generator engines. The lighter oil allows more vigorous cranking on start up, flows through the oil channels more easily cold or warm. I choose it on the advice of a Miller Welder service representative who had studied oil specifications. He recommended diesel oil for gasoline & propane air cooled as diesel oil has more zinc, a very beneficial additive. 10W-30 is fine in warm weather, but it uses a bit more as the lighter oil can easier get past worn piston rings & valve stem seals. My newer Case Backhoe calls for 0W-30. In any case, use what the manufacturer calls for. Lubricating systems are engineered to have adequate volume of oil pumped to ALL friction points. Deviating from manufacturer specifications might leave some engine parts starved for oil.

  41. #41Mashford2024-12-05 11:45

    I did just order a DT466 engine manual. I'll take a look and see what it says for oil spec. I will most likely only be using it in spring, summer, and fall. I bought it for my property to move some dirt around and just play with it basically. Winter it will just sit.