Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser Dozer, what to look for

Groo ยท 2009-09-13 14:10

My dad is pretty set on getting an 1988 Dresser Dozer for $16k, a DT-9 I think. Its suposed to be 19,000 lbs. Its got fairly high hours, about 7k, but is suposed to be well maintained and recently had lots of undercarage work. I've never messed with a Dozer before, but I am the family mechanic and operator, so I'll have to learn. Not that I mind. First off, what do I look for with this machine? any easy way to determine wear for the common wear items for the uneducated? Is this a good machine? will it have the Cummins or an International engine? any other pointers? the plan is to use it for building site work, cutting roads, and skidding timber. I'll be moving home and checking it out at the end of the month.

Replies4
  1. #1SterlingR2009-09-14 08:51

    If at all possible snap a few pictures of the undercarriage and post them here. Pictures of the sprocket teeth, track bushings rollers would give us a little better idea. The engine could be either. If the Ih engine failed we would install a cummins in it's place. It is a very easy conversion and a lot less money.

  2. #2John C.2009-09-14 18:06

    I don't recall seeing a TD9 coming out in 1988 but there could have been. As I recall there were TD7 and TD8 model tractors then. We changed a lot of engines over to the Cummins, they were dirt cheap and International at that time sold a conversion kit. Check the nose for long arching scrapes that have removed the lower radiator mount. It is caused by the C frame joints being sloppy and hitting the nose. Also make sure you run the transmission until hot and then check for slipping. Check the transmission oil level and sniff the dipstick. If the fluid has been run hot is will have a distinct smell. In addition to the photos of the undercarriage make sure to photograph where the dead axle comes through the track frame. They can get real sloppy. The last I can think of is the blade inself. There is a single vertical pin that mounts the T bar to the C frame. This pin can get real sloppy along with the T bar. Look for shims under the bolted mounting plates on the blade. If there are none then you will have some build up to do with a welder. Good Luck!

  3. #3Groo2009-09-14 19:10

    could very well be an 8 (anything from 7 - 10 really). I was guessing 9 based on the reported weight. I had my dad ask the weight to determine if we could trailer it. we wont be trailering this one. unless I get a heavy truck down the road. I assume the C frame/ is the main load bearing link between the crawler and the blade that does the vertical lifting of the blade. the T bar is what lets it tilt. and the cylinder(s) run beween the blade and the C frame for the blade angle and rotates the blade around the pin in the T bar you mentioned. is it a burnt ATF smell I am looking for in the tranny oil? to check for slippage, its just put the blade down till you spin the track without haveing it stop, correct? the dead axle would be for the front main big non powered wheels? As you can see, I have none of the terminology down.

  4. #4John C.2009-09-15 00:29

    You got the C frame and T bar right. You are also correct on the burnt ATF smell. For slippage you just hold down the brake pedal and stall the torque converter at full engine throttle in third gear for about ten seconds. I usually take the floor plate out and watch the U joint from the converter to the transmission. If it turns with out the machine moving then the transmission is slipping. If so run away fast. The dead axle is just in front of the drive sprockets. It is a round bar coming out the side of the machine main frame and the track frame mounts onto it. There is a piece of plate bolted to the track frame that fits into a slot in the dead axle. You will be able to see slop there very easily.