Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser TD 15E

D6c10K · 2018-03-28 13:06

Anyone have experience with a Dresser TD15E dozer? Anything particularly good/bad about that model? Had a 466 engine I beleive.

Replies14
  1. #1FWD2018-03-28 14:52

    I've had no experience with the TD15E dozer but I thought they had the Cummins 505 cubic inch or 8.3 litre engine in them. The very early ones may have had a 466. The TD15C had a 466 until the late 80's I believe and then also had the same Cummins engine although less horsepower. FWD

  2. #2D6c10K2018-03-28 23:19

    From what I've read some of the early TD15 E's also had the 466. I don't know when they changed to the Cummins.

  3. #3cuttin edge2018-03-29 10:28

    Company I worked for had a 15e. I only ran it a few times. It was a road building company, so it went steady. I can't remember any issues.

  4. #4tdrainage2018-03-30 10:12

    ran 15B and 15C's when I was a kid. Have a 15E now and it has the Cummins. It is a very strong tractor. Only issue we have had is the pivot shaft on the right track had some wear and that was a little pricey. The two speed steering is very nice when pushing a load. Had the torque convertor redone at around 5,000hrs Hadn't failed but could tell it was getting weak.

  5. #5roysbigtoys2018-04-01 09:13

    I owned a 1989 TD 15E for about 10 yrs and thought it was a great machine. The Cummins motor always fired up no matter how cold it was ( no either or block heater ), with 12k hrs when I sold it , it never burnt any oil and had good power. My previous dozer was a D6C, so I thought 2 speed steering was great and even in a straight push there is a high and low in every gear.....so basically had a 6 speed trans in forward and reverse. My only major repair was the pivot shaft also.....similar to what tdrainage had to do.

  6. #6D6c10K2018-04-08 17:46

    How is parts availability for your TD15E? Any good dealers in the midwest? I'm curious how many hours you had when the track frame pivot shaft needed repair, what kind of repair cost there was to get it fixed. I know of a machine I may look at but don't know the hours yet, although it's supposed to have had a new undercarriage and possibly an engine overhaul so it's no doubt got a few hours on it.

  7. #7FWD2018-04-08 19:04

    Blue Ridge Tractor in Benton, Il. I've done some business with them, Dresser parts are a specialty for them. I've got parts from Roland Machinery in Il an Wi. They are a Komatsu dealer but they sold Dressers too. I've had good luck with them, always dealt with the Eau Claire store, but they have several stores. FWD

  8. #8tdrainage2018-04-09 19:42

    D6C10K, Get everything from Roland Machinery. Have done business with them for over 35yrs and they are great to work with. Like fwd said, they are Komatsu but used to be IH then Dresser. Have done a little with Blue Ridge and they are ok to deal with, just not as knowledgeable as a couple of the fellows at Roland’s home office in Springfield, IL. Pivot shaft was done at 4,400hrs. Right side. Was pricey at around 7grand with us doing as much as we had tools for. Rest done by Roland. So in last 2yrs have gone through everything except finals on this tractor. Have spent more than it is realistically worth, but as I said it is a very strong tractor. Wouldn’t be afraid to put it against a much newer machine for dirt it will move. That and as mentioned, I started as a kid on a D7-17A with pony motor start and no tilt, but grew up on 15B’s and C’s

  9. #9D6c10K2018-04-10 09:45

    Thanks, I'll have to be pretty confident that this tractor is in good shape before jumping into it. I don't want to buy another "project" like my D6c has been. Don't know what your hours are currently but with the number of hours this machine is likely to have, it probably has either had work on most of the major components, or needs work. I'm in the position of putting another $15k in my tractor for undercarriage and dead axle repair or trading it off....when I already have more in it than it's probably worth.

  10. #10tdrainage2018-04-10 21:06

    I understand. We had a 6C for a while. Wasn’t impressed with it at all. Our 15C was a much better and more responsive tractor. The 6 was great if you wanted a workout as it was way behind the times in operator controls compared to the 15c. Our 15E has 5800hrs on it now. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Looking at the 15 you might want to open the check/fill plug on the finals on each side. They are on back of drive between track and mainframe. Had one once that blew oil out under pressure due to bad seal between trans and final

  11. #11lloydm2023-01-26 09:53

    We have a International Dresser TD15E with no steering brakes, it has forward and reverse travel but the left right steering brake docent appear to be functioning. Looking for suggestions. I believe its a 1988 tractor.

  12. #12cuttin edge2023-01-26 19:58

    This thread is from 2018, I would stat a new one with your question.

  13. #13lloydm2023-01-26 21:06

    Thank you for your suggestion Cutting edge, I'm new to this site and I'll need to learn how to start a new thread,

  14. #14FWD2023-01-27 18:41

    Back out of this thread, then scroll to the top and there is a blue box that has "post a new thread" then go from there.