Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser TD 7

Elvis61 ยท 2014-06-01 08:56

I have had the radiator cleaned out and a new water pump put on. I can run it for 20 min. or so then the temp moves up to 215--230. I don't know what to look for. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies34
  1. #1ol' Grump2014-06-01 08:58

    Any bubbles in the radiator when it's running?

  2. #2Elvis612014-06-01 09:00

    No bubbles. Water always look good.

  3. #3DMiller2014-06-01 22:01

    215-230 should be pushing water out the overflow(boiling), check the temperature with a thermometer, could be a bad gauge.

  4. #4Elvis612014-06-02 08:22

    Some water over flow from heat. I shut it down at 215 degrees

  5. #5Iron@Dirt2014-06-02 20:17

    What engine are you running? Could be stuck thermostat, colapsing hose or others. should be able to see water circulating in the radiator at that temp.

  6. #6Elvis612014-06-03 19:00

    I took the thermostat out and got good water movement. I will run it without one to see how the temp does. It is an International engine.

  7. #7DMiller2014-06-04 15:39

    Should be a DT series engine, without a thermostat at all it may actually run hotter, if possible slow boil the t-stat to see where it begins to open, it should start peeking open around 175-190. If it is the tubular style also replace the seal when installing a new one or it also may create issues with too much flow bypass.

  8. #8Elvis612014-06-04 16:26

    Its a TD E I think the engine is a 206 series. Temp went up without thermostat. I couldn't tell if water was moving in radiator. Low hrs on water pump. For whats that's worth. I will try blowing out dirt from the radiator. Worst thing will be replacement of pump. Thanks

  9. #9MechamServices2014-06-05 00:01

    buy a new thermostat before u buy a new pump!!

  10. #10Iron@Dirt2014-06-05 19:53

    If it is like the td9h the bell housing should be dry. When I bought mine (d39p) it would get hot just running with out moving in the summer, the bell housing was full of oil from the t c. The flywheel acts like a heat machine. Look for oil seapage from around the bell housing and starter. Good luck.

  11. #11Elvis612014-06-06 09:34

    What do you do to remove the oil from the bell housing? Thanks

  12. #12Iron@Dirt2014-06-06 20:39

    On mine there is a plug ( I put an remote extension drain after I had it apart) under the bell housing but you will have to pull the pan to get to it unless you have extra long double joint arms. But before you do that if it is full of oil you should see some seepage around the bell housing and starter. If you have a removable plug to bar engine over check it also.

  13. #13Elvis612014-06-07 05:02

    Thanks, It will be a few days before i can get back to work on it. Heres luck for ya. I just put the skid plate on.

  14. #14Elvis612014-08-17 08:03

    Its been a long time coming but i took off that rebuilt water pump to find parts broken. i will replace pump as soon as i locate one. New problem. The tracks are pinching. Someone tell me what I need to look for. Thanks

  15. #15rmllarue912014-08-17 12:39

    Hey Elvis61 pictures will help with undercarriage problems

  16. #16Elvis612014-08-17 17:02
  17. #17rmllarue912014-08-17 17:34

    Hey Elvis61 your undercarriage look as pretty decent from what I can tell. would like pics of bushings and side view of rails. I would tighten track tension looks like to much sag on top is pinching heel of pad against grouser bar.

  18. #18lantraxco2014-08-17 19:25

    Weird... it actually looks to me like the shoes are too long? It does need some slack taken out of it, but if you look at the bottom where they all lay flat, they're too tight together. I don't remember if IH/Dresser/Komatsu used more than one pitch on these, or if the shoes might be from some other machine?

  19. #19Elvis612014-08-17 19:48

    It was my first buy and i did not take anyone with me for advice. When someone did look at it that knew what they were doing, they told me the tracks were on backwards. I turned them around. I guess i can adjust them out some more and see what happens.

  20. #20Bluox2014-08-17 22:04

    Your pads are on the chains backwards and the chains are on backwards. Bob

  21. #21rmllarue912014-08-17 22:39

    Bob is right chains are running wrong direction and pads will need to be switched.

  22. #22Elvis612014-08-18 07:18

    Not good. Are you saying the grouser bars were put on the rail backard? So disconecting the rail and turning it around would not fix the problem?

  23. #23Elvis612014-08-21 19:59

    The news is not good. I put new water pump on and it runs hot. What should i do now?

  24. #24Jaybo2014-08-21 23:09

    On my TD7G I occasionally have to pressure wash out the radiator. I blow it out with air first then take the pressure washer to it (carefully!) and it has fixed my overheating problems in the past.

  25. #25DMiller2014-08-22 05:30

    I am with Jaybo here, lots of dirt, some oil vapor gets drawn over the radiators in our machines as we work them, a little TLC with air and a low pressure hit from a pressure washer will do wonders.

  26. #26Elvis612014-08-22 08:16

    Got it Thanks

  27. #27oarwhat2014-08-22 08:41

    I know you said no bubbles in the radiator. To really check that fill the radiator right to the top to look for bubbles. Otherwise it can bubble and you'll never see it. I hope you don't see any even with this check.

  28. #28Nige2014-08-22 09:20

    As Bob rightly points out there are 2 separate problems with those tracks. 1. The rails are installed on the machine backwards. Solution - remove the tracks and fit them with the chain links pointing in the right direction. 2. The track shoes are installed backwards on the rails. Solution - remove the shoes and fit them in the correct orientation with respect to the links. So to answer your question, simply turning the rails around is not going to completely fix your problem. Maybe the best method would be first to remove the shoes from the rails, then remove the rails, reverse them and re-install on the tractor. It would be much more simple to manouevre a rail than it would a complete track because of less weight, and the shoes have to come off either way to be installed in the correct orientation anyway. Lastly refit the shoes to the now correctly re-oriented rails.

  29. #29Elvis612014-08-22 12:12

    Thanks , And to think I paid good money to undo someones mistake. :Banghead

  30. #30Nige2014-08-22 12:20

    It won't be the first set of rails I've ever seen installed backwards.............. What was a first (for me anyway) is the fact that whoever installed the shoes got them backwards on the rails, if you get my drift. However in a weird kind of way it sort of makes sense because the shoes were actually in the correct orientation on the machine - with the grousers at the front of the shoes in other words. What screwed everything up regarding the shoes was the fact that the rails were on backwards. I'd hazard a guess that whoever put the shoes on the rails did it with the rails already on the machine.

  31. #31Elvis612014-08-23 06:50

    Got it

  32. #32Elvis612014-08-25 08:20

    What can be done to determine if there is a blown head gasket on a 239 intrnational?

  33. #33ol' Grump2014-08-25 09:02

    Quickest test I can think of would be to totally fill the radiator, leave the cap off, crank the engine for half a minute or so without starting it and have someone watch the coolant level. If it rises, very well could be head gasket time. You replaced the water pump and it's still overheating? Check the simple things first. Radiator totally clean? Put a light behind it and make sure you see light, specially toward the bottom as there is usually where the major buildup of dust etc is. If the fan shroud is missing, that alone could cause it to overheat.

  34. #34balls2go2014-08-25 16:02

    Make sure the fan isn't bent or the belt slipping. Also that the fan shroud is installed correctly and not bent. That's critical on these little fellers.