Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser TD7G transmission oil

Willie B ยท 2016-01-30 20:22

I'm trying to make it a clean sweep of all oil, filters, and maintenance issues with the Dresser before putting it in service. This ain't cheap! Numerous aspects of the tractor differ from the manual. The thing of greatest concern is fluid volume. Final drives needed 2 gallons more than the manual calls for. Transmission calls for 74 quarts, only 43 came out though the dipstick shows full. The oil from hydraulics was clean, and pretty. I felt bad changing it. Transmission oil looks like old engine oil; black. It stinks, but I don't think it's a burned smell. The bottom of the transmission has 5 drain plugs. One in center uses 3/4" ratchet to remove. All others need 1". What does this mean. I DON'T HAVE A 1" DRIVE, BUT WILL GET ONE IF IT'S IMPORTANT. The torque converter looks to me to be a twin to my Case 580K converter. The Case backhoe looks to have identical Cummins engine too. Some 580Ks had a drain in the rotating internal portion of the torque converter, later models did not. This old oil is ugly enough I want it fully drained before refilling with new Hy-Tran from Case/IH. I'm also wondering if I even have a TD7G. I have only a hand cut decal to say it is. The nameplate has no numbers AT ALL!

Replies4
  1. #1g_man2016-01-31 16:47

    Near battery disconnect switch. There should be a cab/rops tag overhead w/ rops serial # and a motor tag just behind the fan Model Number KDC 410/240N. KDC --> Komatsu/Dresser/Cummins Mine took the oil quantities in the manual and 3/4" or 1/2" plugs every where.

  2. #2Willie B2016-01-31 18:23

    The tag you show, I believed was blank, as in no numbers were embossed in it. I went back this morning with a big magnifying glass. I never use abrasives on these tags for fear of wearing away the characters, but I polished on it with a bare finger extensively. There are numbers so faint with a big magnifier I still can't read them. I'll find a way to read them. Somewhere on the internet I found that those higher serial numbers were made in Korea. Mine was built in Korea. I'm not loving that it is Korean. The manual says serial numbers are stamped into the main frame on the right behind the final drive. I see no sign of it there. I'll try to get a picture. the underside of the transmission is sort of flat, with rolling humps. In the center is a 1" NPT plug with 3/4" square hole in it for a 3/4" drive ratchet to remove. The other four are at the outside corners of the flat bottom, They need 1" ratchet, and are 1-1/2"NPT. I got about 10 or 11 gallons of fluid, about 8 gallons less than the manual calls for. I want it fully drained, so I'll find a 1" ratchet. It occurs to me that pumps, and hoses hold substantial oil. I'm considering flushing with cheaper new oil before wasting Hy-Tran. This stuff is ugly!! I wonder if it might be used engine oil.

  3. #3g_man2016-02-01 08:03

    I found this shot underneath. Above I should have said 3/4" or 1/2" square drives not plugs. gg

  4. #4Willie B2016-02-01 17:34

    Thanks. I'm undecided if I will open the other four plugs. The service manual makes no mention, nor does parts, or operators. If there were springs, and a big bunch of tiny parts to fly, I think they'd say. I am changing the big hose from above the far left corner of the gearbox, to the scavenger pump. It's about 2" OD, and has a metal sweeping 90Degree fitting on one end. Locally they don't have the parts to make it up. I bit the bullet and bought it from Komatsu, $410. shipped. I figure I'd spend weeks tracking down somebody able to make it, then it wouldn't fit.