Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar d6r series 1 fuel gauge stuck on 3/4s of a tank

earthscratcher ยท 2016-01-30 13:06

do you think its the tank sensor or is it bad at the dash gauge??

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2016-01-30 13:19

    Find the tank fuel level sensor and pull the single wire off it. What does the gauge do..?

  2. #2earthscratcher2016-01-30 14:38

    I went to molax plug on top of middle of tank it has two wires though,unplugged it and it went to empty. Not sure where single wire is maybe in tank?? On power up gauges including fuel all go full or high then return to low or empty but fuel gauge then returns to 3/4

  3. #3Nige2016-01-30 16:25

    Sorry, I thought your sender was the older single-wire type. The sweep of the gauges from empty to full and back again when you first switch on is normal and is all part of the self-test of the panel. Have you tried looking for Diagnostic Codes by pressing the button to the right of the window on the dash panel that contains the warning lights..? Look especially for one that appears as "030 096F0X" where X is either 3, 4, or 8 - that one relates to the fuel level sensor.Also look to see if the SERV CODE icon lights up when you get to the code for the fuel level sender. Post back what you find.

  4. #4earthscratcher2016-01-31 10:36

    I erased all service codes when I was in transmission around 100 hrs ago, I would think this code would pop up again, but nothin yet, What does this censor look like, is there any way the float could be stuck, or does it not operate like that??

  5. #5Nige2016-01-31 10:57

    If there are no codes showing then it's likely a mechanical fault in the part of the sender that's inside the tank. Take a good look around where the sender bolts into the top of the tank. There should be a dial with a needle in it that registers the fuel level. Is it also reading 3/4..? if it is I suggest removing the sender from the tank and take a look at the mechanism that operates the mechanical gauge in the top of the tank. As you say it might well be stuck.