I am new to dozers. Purchased a TD8E recently. Problem is sporadic sort of in that it comes, goes and varies. Generally, when started up on level ground the dozer moves forward and reverse in 1st gear fine but takes about an acre to get it turned right or left. 2nd and 3rd gears will not push anything and sometimes won't even pull. Fluid levels are good and there is no burnt smell. Then I got it on an incline uphill and the steering worked like a new one. back on flat ground and the steering and drive seems to come and go, even 1st gear on occasion. I am open to any suggestions on figuring this out.
If you have the older long transmission it has its own oil. The long transmission has a very short shaft (about 5”) from the torque converter to the transmission. There is a dipstick under the floor boards where it should be checked while warm and at idle. I’m sure your level is just low.
I will check that out. There is a reservoir under the seat that I had checked. I think your right about the fluid level. My son in law checked as well and did it the right way. He thinks it is low. Will be filling in a couple days. If that's the problem, I'm blessed. Thanks for the reply.
If it worked fine on an incline sounds like it could be something simple like low oil.
Dropped the ball here. The dipstick for the transmission I am guessing is the one under the seat, nothing under the floorboard. It does have the short drive shaft. There is a tank on the right side with a site glass which I assume is hydraulics. Sound right? Any way topping off did not help. Any other ideas? Seems like it has to be something loose, low or broken and affected by the position of the dozer. TY
The 5'' is the shaft only, U joints add to that
Steering working good going uphill sounds like your steering brakes need adjusting, thats why it doesnt work on the flat ground, the hill is your brake and on the flat your just releasing the clutches. Sounds like you need to find a manual and gauges for checking trans. pressures. 1st check the screens and filters.
Owned one of these from 91 until sold it in 2022. The decelerator pedal is on the left and if you look at the floor plate there is a hole in it about 1 1/2" diameter. That is where the dipstick for the transmission. The one under the seat is for the rear housing where your brakes and steering clutches are located. Once you locate it the level is checked while machine is running or I learned that with the machine off it would be about 1" above the full line. Where is the pressure indication on the clutch pressure gauge?
What does your clutch pressure gauge say when this happens? If your pressures are low, check the transmission's suction filter under the floorboards on the right hand side. It might be clogged. If you have a service manual, there are pressure checks you can run on the transmission and the instructions are in the manual.