Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresta dozer not starting

Andre van Greunen ยท 2020-10-27 12:39

I have a Dresta dozer to troubleshoot engine not starting. Cummins QSX15. Engine was running and stopped. Prime the system, got electric pump selfpriming, fuel coming out of the return to tank. Any ideas where to look, Cummins experts please help!!!

Replies3
  1. #1Bls repair2020-10-27 14:51

    Is the fuel shut opening ?

  2. #2treemuncher2020-10-27 16:14

    I am no Cummins expert but I do own at least 3 of them. I am assuming that the engine is cranking with the starter. This was not stated in the OP. Are you using an inline fuel pump or the engine's pump on the fuel injection system? If it is like my QSL 8.9, I've had issues with the main plug on the computer board at times. It is located right in front of the fuel pump (electric) that feeds the filters and common rail system. When the key is turned on, this pump should run for about 30 seconds and then shut off. If it is not running when the key is first turned on, start with that. Sometimes my plug (6 or 8 wire IIRC) was not making good contact and the pump would not come on or it would not want to start up. I brushed it out with some rolled emery cloth and other abrasives, gave it a good cleaning, some di-electric grease and I rarely have issues with it any more. It is a simple problem if that is it. After that, start looking for bad safety switches. Some of my safety switches allow the engine to turn over but not start. These include doors, fan closures, float systems and more. Every system can be different. The next step after that might be to hook up a computer with Cummins software on it to do further diagnosis. Do you have a factory manual for it? Komatsu usually has good flowchart diagnostics and I thought Dresta was an offshoot with a different engine. Get on Cummins Quickserve and open and account. You can access engine parts and service manuals online. You will need your engine serial number to open an account. quickserve.cummins.com should be the address to get you started.

  3. #3Andre van Greunen2020-10-28 02:10

    Its got an electric pumo running 30Sec before trying to start. Got fuel coming out on the return to tank when cranking, no bubbles in the fuel. Cummins quickserve is not for free you pay now for everything and issues cant register no option. Page go to error