Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresta/Dresser 175C pre purchase advice please

RDunkin ยท 2015-04-05 23:28

Hello everyone I'm Richard and I AM a yellow ironaholic, I just stumbled across a track loader the seller states is a "1980 Dresta 175C" it has an enclosed cab, heat & AC with ROPS. The seller states it has less than 5000 original hours on the original working hour meter. I'm already getting gun shy but....who knows? He also stated it has a Cummins engine. As little as I know about yellow iron I would have to think it's still on the original factory undercarriage? This machine will only be used on my small farm for clearing trees and digging small ponds. Now, I kneel at the alter of the yellow iron gods I ask for advice learned from experience, things to look for and opinions of this unit. I had a IH 175 I believe "C" years ago and all I remember is it was nicer (to me) than my old Cat 955 B? Of course that Cat was a convertible with no ROPS and I was clearing trees. No kidding, I would...(DONT EVER TRY THIS AT HOME)...put it in neutral, raise the bucket and get on the left track and knock it low gear at a medium throttle as I jumped off to clear some of those tall dead trees. Most of the time it wouldn't take them over and all the top's would fall down on the Cat. Procedure was to crawl up the drawbar, climb over enough to put it in N and clear enough brush to throttle it down then remove the brush and get ready for another hit. BOY, did I like that 175C with the ROPS after that! Now, with the IH TD20-200 there isn't any chance those trees aren't going down on the first hit! Does anyone have a history of the serial number break between Dresta and Dresser and I will check that. I will be traveling 150 miles to go look at it in 3 days and would like to go armed with some knowledge....if possible. Thank's So Much in advance for any information!

Replies21
  1. #1tylermckee2015-04-06 00:32

    No comment on the loader, but I'm glad you no longer use your old method of clearing!

  2. #2RDunkin2015-04-06 02:10

    Yes Sir...I was young and Dumb back then!

  3. #3RDunkin2015-04-06 03:05
  4. #4RDunkin2015-04-06 12:06
  5. #5RDunkin2015-04-06 12:09
  6. #6Mike Legg2015-04-06 17:50

    A little history concerning the Dressta name 1982- IH sold construction division to Dresser 1988- Dresser entered a joint venture with Komatsu 1992- Komatsu bought out Dresser 1995- Komatsu formed a joint venture with Dressta- Poland 1999- Komatsu and Dressta decide to rename equipment Dressta 2005- Komatsu sold all interest to Dressta of Poland

  7. #7boone2015-04-06 21:47

    This link will get you serial numbers up through 1982. Anything beyond that you'd need a dealer or one of those $500 serial number books. http://www.dozerpartswarehouse.com/page/420251932 Looks newer than 1980 with the cummins' style breather and exhaust. The ROPS look like they've been modified with something on top and back. The posts look pushed forward to me, maybe it's the shadows. I guess for the A/C and all. Hope it hasn't been dropped on its head.

  8. #8RDunkin2015-04-07 10:40

    Boone, it has been hit, backed into or fell at one time. I noticed that the ROPS are pushed forward in the front from looking at pictures of yours. Thanks for the link but I believe this "might" be a 1995 or newer only going off the Dresta badging and the Cummins 5.9. Does your VIN tag look similar to this one ? By the way, I sat up until 2:00am the other night and read EVERY page of your "First Track Loader" experience! A big WELCOME to you & your family to the equipment owners club!

  9. #9RDunkin2015-04-07 10:57

    See if I can get these pics larger....

  10. #10RDunkin2015-04-07 11:01
  11. #11RDunkin2015-04-07 11:03
  12. #12RDunkin2015-04-07 11:06
  13. #13RDunkin2015-04-07 11:10
  14. #14RDunkin2015-04-07 11:16
  15. #15RDunkin2015-04-07 11:19
  16. #16RDunkin2015-04-07 11:23

    Mike, thanks for the Info.! Do you by any chance know when the machines were labeled Dresta and when did they go to the 5.9 Cummins?

  17. #17RDunkin2015-04-07 11:34
  18. #18RDunkin2015-04-07 11:37
  19. #19boone2015-04-07 19:51

    Thanks for the welcome! Looks like it took quite a hit. The larger pics help. The undercarriage looks good from what I can see. Good bit of meat on the rails. The rollers must be in good shape too, I don't see them too close to the pins. Looks like the engine shields are missing. The kick-out rod on the right side of the loader arm is missing too. The lower part of the grill has taken a beating. I'd want to make sure it hasn't kissed the oil cooler. All of that can be fixed though. Can't make out the serial number on the tag, that would give you information for finding the correct year. Definitely looks like a newer machine that's been rode hard. Might be a good machine?? As much as we've been under the floor and the seat, that cab would be a turn off. Here's a pic of the '87 S/N tag for comparison.

  20. #20RDunkin2015-04-15 13:44

    I'm going to pass on this one and keep looking for a CAT or Deere. Thanks to everybody for the Information!

  21. #21clansing12015-05-14 22:13

    The John Deere equivalent is a JD655 which was copied from the IHC design. The original 175C was designed in the late 60s and was basically unchanged for over 35 years except for the engine from an IH466 to a Cummins when IHC sold out. Having a 4:1 bucket definitely makes it a more versatile machine. Very well designed and durable.